Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap

Article about: I acquired this set ecently; just had to add the period officer's dress shirt & tie to complete it. My apologies for the sideways photos; I cannot seem to turn them right side up. Thanks

?

Default 8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap

I acquired this set recently; just had to add the period officer's dress shirt & tie to complete it.
    My apologies for the sideways photos; I cannot seem to turn them right side up.
    Thanks to KarlS for the photos.

BobS8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap
    Last edited by BobS; 05-01-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling

?

This is a damned good tunic buddy.

Early felt British made Stubby wing 8th Air Force patch.

Distinguished Unit Ribbon on the right breast.
    The pilot Has the DFC ( Distinguished Flying Cross ) lots of daring do combat missions.
    The Air Medal has 4 oak leafs meaning 40 plus missions.

This guy seen the air war in Europe friend.

The 8th Air Force is highly prized among collectors today.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    This is a damned good tunic buddy.

Early felt British made Stubby wing 8th Air Force patch.

Distinguished Unit Ribbon on the right breast.
    The pilot Has the DFC ( Distinguished Flying Cross ) lots of daring do combat missions.
    The Air Medal has 4 oak leafs meaning 40 plus missions.

This guy seen the air war in Europe friend.

The 8th Air Force is highly prized among collectors today.
    Thanks Steve, I wish there was some ID, but sadly, none. I forgot to mention the rank is major, and the ribbons are sewn to the tunic.

BobS

?

Here let me help!!!!
    8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap

I have a love for 8th AF stuff for a personal reason.
    Any Name for this set up?????

That visior in PINKS IS AWESOME!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Steve the awarding of Air Medal/Oak leafs in the 8th AF was for 5 missions. So 4 bronze oak leaf plus the medal will be 25 completed missions.

BobS a couple of ???. Are there any tailor tabs on the inside on the left breast inside? Or tags in the right lower pockets. Something that beautiful needs to be ID'ed. Also is the visor original to the tunic and if so any names/ info in the sweat band?????

Sorry for all the questions I just have a passion for these

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Steve the awarding of Air Medal/Oak leafs in the 8th AF was for 5 missions. So 4 bronze oak leaf plus the medal will be 25 completed missions.

BobS a couple of ???. Are there any tailor tabs on the inside on the left breast inside? Or tags in the right lower pockets. Something that beautiful needs to be ID'ed. Also is the visor original to the tunic and if so any names/ info in the sweat band?????

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Ooops . Head stuck in my butt again.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post

Ooops . Head stuck in my butt again.
    No not at all Sir and the only reason I "LIKED" your comment is so that you read my reply. I have total respect for your knowledge!!! The only reason I know this is because of My personal interest in the 8th AF. and my years of research and my interest about the subject researching my Uncle Joe and those that flew with him. The different AF's had different standards for awarding this award,. Be it shooting downs ,which were hard to claim due to the size of the formations or other heroic act's during a mission. Those include tending to wounded while under fire and duress and freeing stuck bombs and you run out of oxygen when your walk around cylinder runs out but still continue until you pass out from hypoxia when helping a wounded ball turret gunner out ,which my uncle did and awarded for such actions.
    I am not questioning I am just expressing what I have researched extensively .

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Here let me help!!!!
    8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap8th Air Force pilot's tunic & cap

I have a love for 8th AF stuff for a personal reason.
    Any Name for this set up?????

That visior in PINKS IS AWESOME!!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks a bunch, Phil.

?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil,
    Sadly, no ID anywhere; obviously the medal combination could apply to hundreds of pilots. The cap came with the tunic; no ID there either.
    Nevertheless, I'm pleased to own it, and it was a great price as well.

BobS

?

The Pink cap is a rare bird friend. Very hard to find.
    As they say in the south "You cut a fat hog in the a$$" on this deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast