Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian sporran ww2 ?

Article about: Hi all bought this aussie sporran . It is named on the back I can't see a service number though . H. McIvor 27th battalion D (S) Company . I guessing the 27th battalion refers to the 27th Ba

Default Australian sporran ww2 ?

Hi all bought this aussie sporran . It is named on the back I can't see a service number though . H. McIvor 27th battalion D (S) Company . I guessing the 27th battalion refers to the 27th Battalion South Australian Scottish regiment . I'v checked the Australian service records database and found nothing . I'v checked out info on the 27th battalion and they appear to have there own regimental sporran badge .Not like the chromed rising sun that this one has. any thoughts anyone ?
    matty
    Australian sporran ww2 ?
    Australian sporran ww2 ?
    Australian sporran ww2 ?
    Australian sporran ww2 ?
    Australian sporran ww2 ?
    Australian sporran ww2 ?

?

If it is named in ball point pen then unlikely to be WWII naming.
    Nice piece though!

Oz

deffo not ball point penned in, my guess and it's a guess that it way pre dates 39

G'day , I have done a fair bit of research on the WW2 chrome rising sun badge , mainly due to the lack of any good info ,

I cant find his name in WW2 nominal roll or AWM Websites either .

Still a Very Nice piece . Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the info and opinions guy's much appreciated . I can't find any info on these sporrans anywhere . Does anyone know any good reference books to aussie regimental scottish attire ?

?

Maybe it was for a an Australian army band at some stage, international Tattoo or something

might be .still not sure ..

?

It could be interwar BN association type thing......the Australian Army was really only militia type units between the wars, the RSL was formed and each AIF Bn would have had an association, and would have marched on ANZAC days......me personally, I get the feeling the 27th, with its Scottish links, may have had their own association band, or was a form of ceremonial dress they marched on ANZAC day or rememberance day in their kilts.....they would have worn their colour patch on their uniforms, and used the rising sun on their sporan

?

Found an image!
    NLA Trove website. Search newspapers for The News (Adelaide) 6th May 1953. Front page celebrating the return of a Korea POW shows the sporran.

Oz