Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian winter tankers "Pixie" coveralls

Article about: G'day all, Whilst not WW2 era made these winter tankers coveralls (Pixie suit) are I believe identical to the late WW2 British made examples with the exception of colour (OD vs Khaki ). The

Default Australian winter tankers "Pixie" coveralls

G'day all,
    Whilst not WW2 era made these winter tankers coveralls (Pixie suit) are I believe identical to the late WW2 British made examples with the exception of colour (OD vs Khaki ).

The hood is a late 60's construction but the coveralls may be earlier. Alas the retrieval straps have been cut out.

Australian winter tankers "Pixie" coverallsAustralian winter tankers "Pixie" coverallsAustralian winter tankers "Pixie" coveralls

Top tag is off the coveralls second is the hood

These images I believe are from the late 50's early 60's showing the Australian OD "Pixie" suit ( and a black one) in use. Love the bottom photo. A scenic view of a Victorian winter past complete with 20 Pounder Type 2 gunned Centurion tank.

Australian winter tankers "Pixie" coverallsAustralian winter tankers "Pixie" coveralls

I am aware of GB, Belgium and Australia using this classic WW2 designed suit post war but were there any other users ?

Thanks for looking

All the best

Dave
    Not sure how this photo ended up down here. It's the winter one I mentioned with the black "Pixie".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian winter tankers "Pixie" coveralls  
    Last edited by Thanatos; 12-30-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Hi Dave, thanks for showing these pics.

Just goes to show "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies to any well designed piece of kit. I have seen Brit ones before (post war dated) but never seen an Aussie made example before.

The retrieval straps often get cut off.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Love the pics Dave, not a set I've seen before and near on the money on my '44 pixie set

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dave, thanks for showing these pics.

Just goes to show "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies to any well designed piece of kit. I have seen Brit ones before (post war dated) but never seen an Aussie made example before.

The retrieval straps often get cut off.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,
    My pleasure mate.
    Agreed they are a well thought out and constructed garment for sure. The best thing is their my size.

All the best Ade

Dave

very nice set dave ,thanks for showing

?

Does it have a wanking hole or was it sewed up ? It gets lonely on the front lines.
    Last edited by SteveR; 12-31-2014 at 01:56 AM.

QUOTE=reneblacky;1350986]Love the pics Dave, not a set I've seen before and near on the money on my '44 pixie set[/QUOTE]
    G'day Rene
    Cheers mate.
    What do you think of the white tag, has that 50's look about it to me.
    Here's something interesting I stumbled across a month or so back

"I agree it is only conjecture that they were issued but my old boss shoed me documentation on military clothing issues and exports during WW2 relating to the tanksuits. At the time I was trying to find some more info on our ones and when they were adopted for Australian Service. These documents showed shipments of these from an Ordnance depot in Melbourne to the UK along with Battledress and Greatcoats in Sept 44. Unfortunately I only thought it interesting at the time and never took a copy. I'm sure a copy of the documents will be in the AWM archive somewhere."

If this shipment did happen in 1944 I wonder what colour the suits were and what design. I believe the tan suit winter went into Brit service early 1944 followed by the cam version later that year.

And this.

"The Australian supplied suits were in the same shades as the Denim Overalls. I was uncertain as to whether the Australian supplied suits saw service but a picture in a recent thread shows two distinctly different colourings between suits where the Tan suit really shows up as different to the others. It is possible that the "Tan" one is dry and the others are wet but it really looks to be different."

If the images refered to in the last paragraph were black and white the OD Pixie suit if clean would appear lighter in colour than these black ones in this image hence the Tan/OD assumption made above.

Any chance of seeing your 44 made pair Rene.

All the best mate

Dave

Don't get to drunk tonight mate.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Does it have a wanking hole or was it sowed up ? It gets lonely on the front lines.
    G'day Steve,
    In actual fact "yes they do"

As stated "A well designed piece of kit"

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice set dave ,thanks for showing
    Cheers James

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Does it have a wanking hole or was it sowed up ? It gets lonely on the front lines.
    Only you Steve, only you!...Great suit BTW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast