Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers

Article about: Hi & welcome to the forum! Thanks for the input. Love the A2! Cheers, Ade.

Default re: Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers

Sorry yet another odd one god i got to take more notice .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers  

Quote by michael77 View Post
    Sorry yet another odd one god i got to take more notice .
    This is British made and nice

looking at another jacket found this stamped inside not sure if its a factory code?
    Is it W/\D? if it is it's British

I think it could be W/\D why would a british manufacturer make a raaf jacket in 1944 wouldnt they just give him a Raf ?
    I should of made it clear the last 2 pictures in the thread are the same jacket.

I think it could be W/\D why would a british manufacturer make a raaf jacket in 1944 wouldnt they just give him a Raf ?
    I should of made it clear the last 2 pictures in the thread are the same jacket.
    We had alot of personel in the UK & Canada (Training) and they had to look RAAF + shipping of new Aussie uniforms took a fair amount of time to arrive
    I've Officers RAAF from both countries

Well im stumped i thought we took a lot of the British made Uniform and adapted it to our own.
    Should we add British Manufacturers to the list for Aussie Gear ?

Well im stumped i thought we took a lot of the British made Uniform and adapted it to our own.
    Should we add British Manufacturers to the list for Aussie Gear ?
    There are instances when we do use British uniforms I've a RAF BD used by us.
    Naa keep this one Aussie I reckon.

4md
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    There are instances when we do use British uniforms I've a RAF BD used by us.
    Naa keep this one Aussie I reckon.
    i have a w/\D marked army side cap that was used by an aussie soldier who was in england before going to the western desert.
    i think its british made and has the rising sun badge on the side...dated 1941

Found this online kind of related
    "Melbourne Textiles labels are somewhat unique in that they are much different from the label styles used on other Aussie kit -- namely that they are typically a small, white square with red text.

I've not finalized my research yet but, in general, labels prior to 1945 have a format which includes the year of manufacture:

M.Tx
    SIZE 4

or some variation thereof.

After 1945, it gets a bit murkier. The date was dropped but the red-on-white tag remained unchanged. I have some documentation indicating that the year was dropped from the label in Feb 1945.

Some items shown "CGCF" on the label whereas others show "AGCF". Those with AGCF are defintely postwar and refer to Australian Government Clothing Factory.

"CGCF" refers to Commonwealth Government Clothing Factory and is inclusive of the war years and into the 1960s."
    Not my view just a found article !
    Last edited by michael77; 10-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.

AIF
    ?

I think that information is a bit flawed, Ive never seen a war time Item ever marked CGCF I dont think they started using that name until the late 1950s early 1960s prior to that it was MTX. I also have many early-mid war items marked MTX that are undated. Also the wartime labels not only used red text but also black and brown, I will post some examples shortly.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast