Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner

Article about: Go to "Advanced" next to the quick reply button. Scroll a bit down and find "Pictures upload" and take it from there. Otherwise it will not work. Regards, Lars

?

Default Re: Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner

Go to "Advanced" next to the quick reply button. Scroll a bit down and find "Pictures upload" and take it from there. Otherwise it will not work.

Regards, Lars

?

Clicked go advance
    Clicked insert image
    Jacket2.jpg
    clicking submit reply

?

Here you go.

Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner   Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Looks to be a tailored 37 pattern, though some of the commonwealth countries carried on making and using these post war. It looks really nice and very uncommon to see one with Rhodesian insignia.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Now that we have got to see it, I have to agree it's a beautiful jacket

From what i see, I would agree with Jerry. It looks to be a British 1937 Pattern BD Blouse, that has been tailored. In this case, the tailor pretty much took it completely apart and rebuilt it, adding a full (silk?) lining, remodelling the collar to a stepped lapel, adding top reinforcement to the pockets and lining to the pocket flaps, and remodelling the shoulder straps to look more like those on officer's service dress. This kind of thing was not usual, but was certainly done, but I can see why it would confuse you.

The insignia is for a Captain in a transport/supply unit. The yellow and blue colours, forming part of the officer's pips, RHODESIA title and Arm-of-Service Strip are the same as the British Royal Army Service Corps. In this case I would guess Southern Rhodesia Transport Corps or a Rhodesian officer attached to a RASC unit. I am happy enough to give it a WW2 period date.

It would be nice to see a bit more of it, as I can't see details of ther waistband, cuffs etc.

Lovely thing :

Rob

Indeed, a great BD.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The OP is still having trouble uploading pics, he's sent me these to post.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner   Brit/Rhodesia P37 Jacket with Liner  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Superfine quality bd, best I have seen.

Wow, full silk/rayon lining to the sleeves, additional hooks to keep the waistband in place and, if I'm not mistaken, a silk or cotton lining to the cuffs?

I think we can assume this jacket wasn't intended for 'combat use'

Rob

?

I am told the owner was a supplier of all kinds of goods after the war and that was how he made all his wealth..Based on this I really wish I had known him better, I am sure he would have had a tale to tell. I am told some guns changed hands across borders in Africa post-war but you know how stories get added to as the years go by.
    His son wanted the jacket sent to Goodwill so I grabbed it along with the medals. Medals show he served in Italy, France, Germany during the war and in Israel after the war.
    My plan is to see if the grandson wants the jacket and medals when he comes of age...who knows...I hope so.
    In the meantime, the jacket is in such good condition, any ideas how best to store it?
    By the way, thanks so much for the information so far and any other is very welcome. Thanks again to aj4010 for posting pics, without that help this would have been an FNG post struggling to send pics. Thank you sir.
    ...Men of Harlech, stop your dreaming....fades out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2