Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

british battledress blouse

Article about: Thanx for showing it John IMO they are very important pieces of history I find that a lot of them have been stripped down and are and were used by reinactors which in my opinion is a shame a

jwp
    ?

Default british battledress blouse

I realise without pics this is a big ask, on my way home tonight I passed the local vintage and collectables store (closed at the time !)in the window is what looks like a ww2 or later pattern battledress blouse, this is not my normal field of collecting but I was rather taken by it. the condition appears good, it has red cloth royal artillery shoulder titles and a medal ribbon which is 39/45 star,africa star, Italy star,war medal and territorial efficiency medal, the price tag was turned round so no idea what they are asking (they normally ask top dollar for any military items !), could I ask any pointers of what to look for if I call in tomorrow regarding labels, buttons etc to determine its originality or a reasonable price for an original ?, it appears to be a very small size, I am only a 36" chest and I doubt it would fit me, I know this is a lot to ask without pics but would be grateful for any pointers, pitfalls etc,
    many thanks,
    regards,
    John.

Hi , it is impossible to say if the battle dress itself is war time manufactured without seeing the inner labels or the pattern of battledress itself. What I will say is that the presence of the ribbons for wartime service indicate that it is most likely post war used as the medals would have been issued after the cessation of hostilities. Leon.

Hi John,

there are fakes around, re enactors items etc.

A good place to start is to check the labels if still in place, as they will tell you the pattern and are often dated. Obviously 46, 47 and 49 patterns are all post WWII.

If no labels the shape of the lapels will help you date it unless it has been tailored for an officer.

Try this thread for most of the variations.

British & commonwealth tunic collection

Price depends on the pattern, the unit, the insignia and if it is all original to it. Obviously WWII is more expensive than post war.

BD serge -37 pattern- is the most desirable, 40 pattern pre austerity is less commonly seen, 40 pattern austerity are the most commonly seen, p46 and p47 are both quite rare, so even though they are post war they are desirable, 49 pattern is the most common, so RA in this type £30 ish, maybe a bit more. The others are more but RA are very common so not too pricey I think.

You also have to check if it is foreign made, such as Canadian or US, S African, NZ, Rhodesian -the rarest etc.

Make sure it is not post war Greek or Dutch.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi , it is impossible to say if the battle dress itself is war time manufactured without seeing the inner labels or the pattern of battledress itself. What I will say is that the presence of the ribbons for wartime service indicate that it is most likely post war used as the medals would have been issued after the cessation of hostilities. Leon.
    You are correct Leon about the ribbons, but I would say that if they continued to serve they would put the ribbons up and might keep a wartime BD for best. I have two wartime BD's with ribbons up (and 3 SD tunics with the same). The Africa Star ribbon was issued during the war and can be seen on wartime pictures.
    Regards,

Jerry

jwp
    ?

british battledress blousemany thanks both, great link jerry, will print off the pics to take with me in the morning !,talking about medal ribbons, I've posted this pic before, but this pic shows my dad with his Africa star and first army clasp on his shirt, taken in cairo 1944,
    cheers,
    john.

jwp
    ?

Just to say I did buy this jacket !, was on sale for £30 but paid £20, label inside has ROF CHORLEY 1950, pattern battledress 49,I know this was an ordnance factory, did they produce uniforms ?, it is quite local to me, the epulattes have a QE 2 crown in metal and enamel, the lining of the breast pocket with the medal ribbon is stamped with the broad arrow and 59. inside that pocket I found an old ? chitty from army stores dated 1954 ?, will scan this to be able to read it clearer, will take pics in morning, also each sleeve has a cloth shield under the RA shoulder title which seems to be the Scottish cross of st.andrew , will take pics in morning in good daylight, at the price if not the real deal not too much lost !!!, (I hope )
    all the best,
    John.

Sounds good John and with all its insignia the price is good. Without a picture, I would assume the patch is the lowland Div or Scottish command, depending on the colours used.

ROF Chorley is a commonly seen maker, I have a pair of 55 dated 49 pattern trousers by them that came with a 53 dated Welch Regiment/Division BD blouse.
    Regards,

Jerry

jwp
    ?

many thanks jerry, this is the patch, lowland division ?british battledress blouse

Yes John, that is the one for Lowland Div, and as RA they would wear the RA titles rather than the div titles an infantryman would wear. Sounds good and I look forward to some pictures.
    Regards,

Jerry

jwp
    ?

thanks jerry, was this division involved in the actions at the breskens pocket in Holland 1944 ?, just come back from a tour of that area and seem to remember that division named in the action. just to add the bd is in as new condition, making me slightly nervous !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast