Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The British Leather Jerkin

Article about: Hi Guys, these were a really popular item of uniform, designed for winter use. First worn in the Great War and they were made again throughout WW2. Postwar examples were even made from man m

Default The British Leather Jerkin

Hi Guys, these were a really popular item of uniform, designed for winter use. First worn in the Great War and they were made again throughout WW2. Postwar examples were even made from man made Vinyl. Other continental armies copied the design too.

For many years after the war they could be observed being worn by many ex soldiers and others who had bought them as army surplus. Our local Dustman used to wear one. Older British forum members will no doubt recall the TV charactor "Stan Ogden" wearing one too.

The example illustrated here from my collection I purchased directly from the Veteran who was issued with it in 1945. He was a motor cycle despatch rider. It is nicely maker marked and dated "Maple & Co. Ltd, London. Jan. 1945"

The chocolate brown coloured woolen linings only seem to be observed on later productions.

There were also "Camo" versions produced which had a subtle spray painted pattern done on them.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The British Leather Jerkin   The British Leather Jerkin  

Default re: The British Leather Jerkin

This example is from my wife Lez's ATS collection. This is the special version produced for the ATS. Note that it closes on the female side. This is the early production version and has an adjustable half belt fitted to the back. The later ATS version did away with the half belt.

This is also a camo version. As you can see, the spray painted pattern is very light.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The British Leather Jerkin   The British Leather Jerkin  

Default Re: The British Leather Jerkin

Those are some very nice examples Ade! I have examples of both the WWI and WWII jerkins as well. They are not very common on this side of the pond.

Cheers
    Gary

Thanks Gary. I would like to see them especially the WW1 example.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,

We still had them on the G1098 for (Abbot) Gun Batteries as 'loaders jerkin'. Some were wartime dates most were 50s as they wore out. I never saw one in use as they were deemed 'unfashionable', such an opinion probably put about by the BQMS as 'Stores are for storing'. It lives on in the 'Jerkin protective combat' which I still have and is still on issue but deemed just as unfashionable! Probably due to the efficient laundry system today (you always get something back) and the quick resupply chain that negates make do and mend to some degree.

Jock

Hi Jock, thanks as I had not heard of that.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,

The modern 95 pattern equivelent. I lied in error I have seen it worn once by a Challenger tank loader but no one else, not even his mates.

When you get the WW1 photos that should complete the full evolution?

Jock

The British Leather Jerkin   The British Leather Jerkin  

This garment features prominently in the "The Third Man," as well, on the British NCO in the military police in Vienna's international zone along with Trevor Howard's character.

Thanks for showing us.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This garment features prominently in the "The Third Man," as well, on the British NCO in the military police in Vienna's international zone along with Trevor Howard's character.

Thanks for showing us.
    FB,

I have not seen the films you mention, It would not be wrong for the 'plod' to have them as I believe the are on G1098 (Sub unit level centralised store) for their bikers. These items tend to be on a store register issued to an 'appiontment' which might wear out the uniform quicker if not protected (biker, gun loader, tank gun loader, Engineer bridger, etc) rather than an individual (cost cutting).

Typical British MOD answer.

As it was it still is.

Jock

Hi Jock, never seen of these before! Thanks for showing it.

"The Third Man" is a great film noir. FB's favourite film It was only on TV here again last week.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast