Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The British Leather Jerkin

Article about: Hi Guys, these were a really popular item of uniform, designed for winter use. First worn in the Great War and they were made again throughout WW2. Postwar examples were even made from man m

Default Re: The British Leather Jerkin

Quote by jock auld View Post
    FB,

I have not seen the films you mention, It would not be wrong for the 'plod' to have them as I believe the are on G1098 (Sub unit level centralised store) for their bikers. These items tend to be on a store register issued to an 'appiontment' which might wear out the uniform quicker if not protected (biker, gun loader, tank gun loader, Engineer bridger, etc) rather than an individual (cost cutting).

Typical British MOD answer.

Jock
    Thanks so much. As one familiar with the US DoD and the German MoD, many thanks for your wise answer. Do see the "Third Man" as it is one of the best British films ever made, and because it treats issues of some relevance to soldiers in the 21st century (post war reconstruction in the constabulary role of soldiers) it has more than entertainment value. I saw it again this week, and admire this leather jerkin, which is well suited to Vienna's winter climate, especially if one drives around in a jeep.

I spend a lot of time in Vienna, but have never done the "Third Man" tour. I think our very own Adrian S. has now been to Vienna, and I have promised him a visit to my favorite cafe, but not Cafe Mozart.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jock, never seen of these before! Thanks for showing it.

"The Third Man" is a great film noir. FB's favourite film It was only on TV here again last week.

Cheers, Ade.

You are a keen observer of art and biography. I will be in Vienna in the 2d week of next month, and for a good chunk of the winter, too. My invitation to you stands, since I never make it to the UK. I always fly over you on my way to Mitteleuropa.

FB,

I will put it on my Christmas list. It sounds good.

Sadly most Governments have a short sighted view when dealing with military issues, it must come as a surprise sometime when there is a quick victory leaving only a power vacuum where law and order once was (all be it not what we wanted).

Very difficult when they don't particulary want our democracy and have their own identity (is it that sort of plot?).

I'm sure that hasn't changed much either over the years.

Vienna sounds nice, I know a song about there (Ultravox) but sadly I have never been. I would love to visit at some point but as a pensioner now I have less disposable income.

Jock

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jock, never seen of these before! Thanks for showing it.

"The Third Man" is a great film noir. FB's favourite film It was only on TV here again last week.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

As I have said before, you can come on this site daily and 'every day is a school day'.

Jock

G'day Guys

Here's two camo jerkins 41 & 44 and they show the evolution of the camo and note the liner differences
    Australian army surplus stock and at one time very common down here but not so any more.

Regards,

René
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-22-2019 at 01:42 AM.

FB,

I will put it on my Christmas list. It sounds good.

Sadly most Governments have a short sighted view when dealing with military issues, it must come as a surprise sometime when there is a quick victory leaving only a power vacuum where law and order once was (all be it not what we wanted).

Very difficult when they don't particulary want our democracy and have their own identity (is it that sort of plot?).

I'm sure that hasn't changed much either over the years.

Vienna sounds nice, I know a song about there (Ultravox) but sadly I have never been. I would love to visit at some point but as a pensioner now I have less disposable income.

Jock
    Thanks for yours. The troubles of the present in Iraq and Afghanistan have been better anticipated by our British allies and their long and rich experience of war in such places as India, Africa, Palestine, Borneo and even Ireland. The latter had more to suggest to us Americans about the shape of such conflict in the 21st century than the emphasis in the US armed forces after 1991 of new versions of Blitzkrieg with "one shot, one kill" munitions.
    I am a great admirer of the British Army, and of your air force, navy and marines, as well.

I am sure it is odd to interpret the 1949 film as I have, but Graham Greene, who was no stranger to the political violence and unrest of the 20th century, got the task to do a story on the Viennese sewer police squad at the time that the 1st district of occuppied Vienna was shared between the US, UK, France and the USSR. The film was the result. There are a lot of good films of high artistic value about the problems of occupation in Germany and Austria.

All my British readers are welcome to come to Vienna and I will show you around the place. It bears little resemblance to either 1938 or 1949 any longer.

Hi René, they are superb examples. I don't think I have seen such a strongly coloured camo one before. It works well against your leather sofa The subtle camo ones I think were barely worth the effort of doing, as the contrast is so slight it dissappears when observed at any kind of distance.

I was present some years ago at a show when a complete mint bale of camo examples were unwrapped for the very first time. They were sold very quickly. I shoukd have bought one on reflection.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi FB, one of these days I will take you up on the kind offer.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks for yours. The troubles of the present in Iraq and Afghanistan have been better anticipated by our British allies and their long and rich experience of war in such places as India, Africa, Palestine, Borneo and even Ireland. The latter had more to suggest to us Americans about the shape of such conflict in the 21st century than the emphasis in the US armed forces after 1991 of new versions of Blitzkrieg with "one shot, one kill" munitions.
    I am a great admirer of the British Army, and of your air force, navy and marines, as well.

I am sure it is odd to interpret the 1949 film as I have, but Graham Greene, who was no stranger to the political violence and unrest of the 20th century, got the task to do a story on the Viennese sewer police squad at the time that the 1st district of occuppied Vienna was shared between the US, UK, France and the USSR. The film was the result. There are a lot of good films of high artistic value about the problems of occupation in Germany and Austria.

All my British readers are welcome to come to Vienna and I will show you around the place. It bears little resemblance to either 1938 or 1949 any longer.
    FB,

May hold you to that when the daughter is married off next year. I plan to have a 'cabbie' round Europe and see what I've been missing. Equally if you are near Belsen and need a pit stop we always have room.

Jock

FB,

May hold you to that when the daughter is married off next year. I plan to have a 'cabbie' round Europe and see what I've been missing. Equally if you are near Belsen and nead a pit stop we always have room.

Jock
    Thank you, sir. Vienna is well worth the trip.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Pip Pip,
    Carruthers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The British Leather Jerkin  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast