Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British mess dress ??????

Article about: by Tango I'm with Bob on this one..!!& if he was commissioned you normally jump to Captain. "not all the time though"..& I couldn't see it being much good having a platoon/

Default British mess dress ??????

hello all got this Red British Army Mess Dress Jacket. Royal Engineers badge on the shoulders I think and a patch with wings and a parachute with APJI ????It appears his name and rank is on the tag it say's 2 LIEUT S. ABBOTT I know very little about mess dress and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this jacket ??
    thanks matty .

British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????

Hi Matthew, can you show some closer pics of the buttons and badges?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

No worries jerry
    British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????

The wings are the mess dress version of the Army Parachute Jumping instructors Assistant qualification wings, still used so hard to date them. I assume it is post WWII 50's-80's at a guess. The buttons might date it a bit closer if you can show one of them. Obviously it is missing a single pip from each SB for a 2nd LT. The dagger patch is Army commando I think so Army Commando combat engineers such as 24 Commando Regiment Royal Engineers.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

This jacket still has a sergeant's rank insignia on the sleeve, and it appear's to be an nco's mess dress jacket, not an officer's. If the owner was commissioned as a 2nd lieut., I would think he would purchase officer's mess dress.

BobS

well that is confusing then bob I'm only going by what the tag say's I know almost nothing about mess attire . do you know any good reference sites online ?

well jerry that would explain why the single pip would be missing too then I suppose ?

?

I'm with Bob on this one..!!& if he was commissioned you normally jump to Captain. "not all the time though"..& I couldn't see it being much good having a platoon/troop commander being a para instructor..he is busy doing other things? "like learning to read a map wrong!!!"lol.So I would have a guess it belongs to the SNCO not officer..& Jerry is spot on with the commando info he has passed all arms commando course at some point.. & completed some sort of para training..whether it be P company or the basic para course I wouldn't know!!!. Nice jacket though.. Cheers Terry.

Quote by matthewtanner View Post
    well jerry that would explain why the single pip would be missing too then I suppose ?
    Indeed, I was so concentrating on the other insignia that I never noticed the SGT stripes, DOH. Maybe you have misread the label? Any chance of a pic of a button.
    Regards,

Jerry

thanks for the info terry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast