Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British mess dress ??????

Article about: by Tango I'm with Bob on this one..!!& if he was commissioned you normally jump to Captain. "not all the time though"..& I couldn't see it being much good having a platoon/

Quote by Tango View Post
    I'm with Bob on this one..!!& if he was commissioned you normally jump to Captain. "not all the time though"..& I couldn't see it being much good having a platoon/troop commander being a para instructor..he is busy doing other things? "like learning to read a map wrong!!!"lol.So I would have a guess it belongs to the SNCO not officer..& Jerry is spot on with the commando info he has passed all arms commando course at some point.. & completed some sort of para training..whether it be P company or the basic para course I wouldn't know!!!. Nice jacket though.. Cheers Terry.
    The wings are for assistant jump instructor Terry.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Anytime... I could be wrong mind lol.. Cheers Terry.

Yes Jerry you are spot there..he would have had to pass some sort of para training first..ie completed his 6 or 8 jumps whatever it is now days..So he would have done them some time prior & then been pressed gang into doing this course at Brize...Cheers Terry.

yeh jerry I'll go take one when I get up off my butt and go for a smoke and a coffee in 5

Hi gents,

just to muddy the water, there was a Stephen Abbott, commissioned 2 Lt, as a direct entry officer in the RE, 15th August 1967.

Cheers, Tom

My eye's arn't the best but I'm pretty sure the tag say 2 LIEUT S. ABBOTT. R. E. although as I said my eye's are not good . So then what has happened to this mess dress then has it been messed with ?

?

Alright, Im going to throw another suggestion into the mix.

There appears to be a conundrum over the "holes" in the shoulder straps. Are they for rank pips? Im not so sure.
    Regimental/Corps insignia is very often worn in metal form on shoulder straps, therefore as a suggestion, rather than the holes being for a set of rank pips, I would suggest that they are actually for a missing set of, in this case, Corps, designations, ie: The letters RE, usually in brass/yellow metal!

This would also clear up the query of, is this a messed with Mess Dress jacket? Personal opinion, I dont think so!
    Just my 2pennorth boys.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

It might not have holes in the SB's I only assumed there was as it was said to be for a 2nd Lt. Also officers mess dress might have bullion stars anyway, though the only one I have has metal stars.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi jerry sorry for the slow reply but here is the pictures you requested you are correct there seem to be holes for a shoulder title I presume RE title and also holes for possibly piping . So this is just making it more confusing for me .... ?????????????????? aararrrhhhhhhhhh
    British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????British mess dress ??????

?

Those holes would be for shoulder/Rgt titles not for rank, another point not yet raised, is that this Snco may have purchased this jacket from his 2nd Lieutenant, either being an unworn one , as there are no rank holes or stitching,or a spare

Not unknown for these to be bought second hand. They are expensive to purchase.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast