Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

British soldier wearing US 5th army patch

Article about: I saw the attached pic on an online auction, I missed out in the end !, looks like a REME man with a US 5th army patch on his battledress, has anyone seen other examples of this ?, my dad's

jwp
    ?

Default British soldier wearing US 5th army patch

I saw the attached pic on an online auction, I missed out in the end !, looks like a REME man with a US 5th army patch on his battledress, has anyone seen other examples of this ?, my dad's division the british 78th were attached to the US 5th army for a time during the Italian campaign and wondered if he may have been part of the 78th divisional troops ?. the other pic is a scan from the 78th magazine "Hops and Haggis". would welcome your thoughts, many thanks,
    John.

British soldier wearing US 5th army patchBritish soldier wearing US 5th army patch

Hi John

It would be interesting to see what is on his opposite shoulder , for the US Army, left shoulder is the current unit he is serving in' meaning Fifth Army. He would not be able to wear it on his right as that would of meant he had served combat in some form for Fifth Army, I would assume he would have a British Formation sign or cloth shoulder title.

My take on this is that he was attached to the Fifth US Army at HQ level meaning he was in some liaison capacity or for an inter allied unit conducting specific operations (?). 1944-45 there were units assigned to all allied Army Groups and Armies namely T-Force personnel

Being a staff sergeant I believe he had specific qualifications and experience to be assigned to the Fifth US Army.

Great pic thanks for showing.

Phill

jwp
    ?

many thanks Phill,
    regards,John.