Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Canadian Battle Dress Blouse

Article about: Hi everyone, I ask your help for correctly identify this Battle Dress Blouse, mint condition, I found it in a vintage clothing store. I think it's a Canadian Pattern and seems good to me, bu

?

Mastercraft started making BDs in early 1944, although I can not prove it, but as they were late starters in making BDs and they started early in 44
    They probably were given the older patter and geared up for it...then never changed the pattern as it would have required a second expensive set up,
    This is only my opinion...but they were not a large supplier for Battle Dress Uniforms...so not only do you have a great good sized BD or the pre 44 pattern, you also have a rare maker...not too many collectors, collect BDs by Makers, I am looking for a small maker as a friends Great Uncle ran the company..I cant remember the name right now.

But you BD just keeps getting better and better

Just my thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

Very good, Dean!
    when I bought it, I was not sure it was good....., but I liked it and I have risked!!

Cheers

?

Please understand I am not an expert, I just know a little more than others..I hate being called an expert, but it happens when I work with Historical societies and museums ect...they only call me that, because I know more than try do on certain items... My whole life has been about sharing information..and learning from others...... that's why this is the only site I am with now, I know crap about German items..but since I have been here a long time, members will take the time to explain things to instead of sending me old threads.
    I truly hope this is because some respect me as I do them.

By the way, I am very happy to see you a Gold Member...we are the people that keeps this forum alive...just wish many more would join sa they get the same info we get...but they do not want oto pay $20 a year...very sad for the info they get...

Take Care

And email me if you see something Canadian you are not sure about

Take Care

Dean O
    Canada

RvL
    ?

Dean, this is not a, what you called, pre 44 pattern. Look at the buttons, collar and date. There is only one pattern and that is the p37. The early war battledress had hooks in the collar and other colour buttons and were made till 1943. The late war had tabs in the collar.

Not being an expert or Canadian but this matches the march 45 dated example I own with button and tab collar closure typical for late war Canadian bd's. It is not the early type nor has it been converted to the early type with hook and eye. I am only looking on phone so perhaps I am missing something?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

According to this site the hook and eye was phased out and replaced with the button and tab collar closure which was introduced in 1942 which is earlier than I thought it was.

Canadian Military Police Virtual Museum
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

RvL
    ?

Hi Dean, can you explain why do you think it's a early war style bd?

?

RvL, you have not yet told us who you are..you have 4 posts, and nothing in the new members section about youeself...so please do not take offense however, I have a Problem with guys that just sign in and start questioning things, without a back ground....however

A few years ago, I was luckiy enough to meet up with someone that had bought WW2 ( and WW1) surpluse in the 60s and 70s..I have photos somewhere in this computer thing.

He had a barn that was falling down..one end held up[ by RCAF radios, not to mention the many 48 foot trailers he had on his property...everything was a complete mess!!!, I remember going into a trailer and finding 1000s of unifroms..many WW2 and many post war..they were all bundled in 10s.

I found one bundle of 10 dated 1941.but they were rotting, they all had the clothe neck closer and the buttons in the same way as this tunic...1941!!!

Canadian Patterns did very as companies did what they could to supply the Canadian Army..as I have said....I think this bit comes under, "would they have worn it?, Never"

I know a fellow that is well known for his collection and he is an expert...he would go against my concept of this BD.... regardless it is a correct BD

I do not like going against Brad on this one...however...Canada was not the best in following "patterns"

If anyone really had all the info of Canadian patterns, and what was issued, I feel that many would be like turtals... sticking their heads in the sand or in their shell..

Off the subject, I have studied DIL for years...and very little that was official regs ect, did not happen, and they were our largest shell filling plant in Canada..if you want proof of that, I have the stuff.

Yes I may have made a mistake, however the BD is 100% correct
    JUst wish RvL would show his face, so to speakl

Dean O
    Canada

RvL
    ?

Dean, my post wasn't ment to be offensive. I was just curious why you thougt and it was an early style battledress, that's all.

I will introduce myself later this week.
    Rick.

?

Sorry, I may have taken it the wrong way, again I have no problems with new members as we were all once new members.

Do you understand why I thought it was a pre 44 type of BD, and yes the 37 pattern was the earlier one..but I have seen so many variations in the 37 Pattern ect...and I do get tired of people saying this only fits this pattern or the other.

Canada did not follow those regs as well as others. I have to find those phots of what I found at that farm..I am sure in the past, I posted some

Just My thoughts

So tell us about you?

Dean O
    Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast