Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)

Article about: All very interesting to me as the top item on my to buy list is a wartime BD, preferably a 43 or earlier dated example with an Africa -& if possible Italy- history. Sadly prices on these

Default Re: Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)

All very interesting to me as the top item on my to buy list is a wartime BD, preferably a 43 or earlier dated example with an Africa -& if possible Italy- history. Sadly prices on these are on the up so I need to get one sooner rather than later. I have been studying these in advance of this purchase and Rob, your detailed posts have made this easier and hopefully less liable to me getting it wrong.

Many thanks.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)

Quote by Bond View Post
    All very interesting to me as the top item on my to buy list is a wartime BD, preferably a 43 or earlier dated example with an Africa -& if possible Italy- history. Sadly prices on these are on the up so I need to get one sooner rather than later. I have been studying these in advance of this purchase and Rob, your detailed posts have made this easier and hopefully less liable to me getting it wrong.

Many thanks.
    A lot of BD issued in Italy was of the American-made type (Battle Dress, Olive Drab, War Aid), as indeed was some of the issue KD too. You might want to get hold of these too, if you are looking for 'iconic' Italian theatre British Army clothing.

Just trying to complicate things further for you

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    A lot of BD issued in Italy was of the American-made type (Battle Dress, Olive Drab, War Aid), as indeed was some of the issue KD too. You might want to get hold of these too, if you are looking for 'iconic' Italian theatre British Army clothing.

Just trying to complicate things further for you

Rob
    I looked at a US made example on the net today, 44 dated I think it was and it or something similar would be a cool addition to my Africa/Italy collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, US Made War Made BD is the "Rolls Royce" of BD's in my opinion. By far the best quality.

Here is mine. Only the shoulder titles are restored. All other insignia is original to the Blouse. I got married in this one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, US Made War Made BD is the "Rolls Royce" of BD's in my opinion. By far the best quality.
    I would agree with that. This is one of mine, and a collection favourite of mine too:

Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)

Sorry the picture is not the best. Not quite as glamourous as Ade's, but it's used, soiled and dirty and was definitely 'there'. It's a blouse belonging to a Lance-Bombardier Fenton from the artillery of British 1st Infantry Division, which was an Africa/Italy formation of course. I have the wearer's original cap too. The pockets still have little bits of random stuff in them too

Rob

I've only recently (last week!) managed to get myself a War Aid BD, and yes, the fabric is really nice. It's been open collar converted too so looks even smarter.
    That said, in my opinion you can't beat the 1947 pattern for smartness, if not quality.

I know its cheating in a way (we are comparing issue BDs), but the best quality BDs of all are the privately-tailored ones that some officers had made. You don't see them too often, but when you do, they are top quality of course

Rob

What does the label read on this BD? I can't make out whether it says 40 or 42 pattern?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK)  Clarification of British uniforms (UK, no Canada, Australia, India, etc., just UK) 
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I know its cheating in a way (we are comparing issue BDs), but the best quality BDs of all are the privately-tailored ones that some officers had made. You don't see them too often, but when you do, they are top quality of course

Rob
    At some point in the future I will do a mammoth thread on some of my wife's collection, all to one woman: one of the BD's in stunning.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Bond View Post
    What does the label read on this BD? I can't make out whether it says 40 or 42 pattern?

Thanks
    Looks like 40 to me? But I do have a dim memory about once seeing a "42" pattern on a label? Anyone else seen that or am I dreaming it?

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast