Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)

Article about: Very happy to have just bought another ATS raincoat! This one is complete with the belt, just lacks a couple of buttons. I will post pics once I get it. Cheers, Lez.

Default Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)

Hiya, here is a very rare item.

The gabadine ATS raincoat was a very early bit of kit which was issued for only a couple of years. Few are in collections today and, although mentioned, it is not even featured in the book on ATS uniforms. It was replaced by the greatcoat.

My example was made by Rego Clothiers Ltd in 1939.

Mine lacks the belt and I doubt I will ever find one for it. But I was very happy to find this one some years ago now.

It is nicely named to the original owner. Note the lining. The neck still has a dry cleaners label pinned in place with the owners name.

It is even hard to find period photo of it in use.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)   Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)  

Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)   Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)  

Default Re: Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)

A couple of wartime pics showing it being worn. Not the most fetching of garments.

Note the girls have civvy respirators.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)   Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)  

Another very interesting item Lez, I don't remember ever seeing one of these.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hiya Jerry, I don't think many people at all have seen one? Hopefully now they will become better known.

Cheers, Lez.

It is my first time also to see one, you have a great collection Lez and thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I echo Eric's sentiments. Great collection of items rarely seen by most collectors.
    Tom

Thanks Lads.

Cheers, Lez.

?

There's something that is so British about the clothing labels in our kit " Coats raincoat ATS , Smock Combat "" etc etc and a real Gaberdine item as well !!! I always love seeing original photos of the ATS / WAAFS etc , many people are interested in the BDM etc but i think they would have had their bait put up by our Girls !!!
    Last edited by Paul D; 03-12-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Lez

Do you have an idea where this pic was taken?

I noticed that they all have a coloured strip at the bottom of their shoulder straps, which interests me as it relates to an ATS item in my collection. Alternatively, do you have any idea why they have coloured strips at the bottom of their shoulder straps

Rob

Hiya Rob, sorry I don't. We just had it on file.

I used to have a website on the ATS, but when AOL stopped free hosting we lost it. I used to get sent pics all the time from families but most had no detail bar a name at best.

Re the shoulder strap coloured loops: no real info. There is certainly an RA connection. A friend has one, supposed to have been worn by an ATS girl, but it is a mans WA US blouse with AA Command flashes. It has a white tape loop but with a central dark green bar????

Cheers, Lez.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast