Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Date a POW photo by battledress pattern?

Article about: Is anyone able to give a rough date (year) on this photo going by the battledress pattern. At first I thought 37 pattern but can’t see any definite pleats on the pockets although the buttons

?

Default Date a POW photo by battledress pattern?

Is anyone able to give a rough date (year) on this photo going by the battledress pattern.

At first I thought 37 pattern but can’t see any definite pleats on the pockets although the buttons appear to be hidden. Pleats on the German uniforms are more obvious.

My knowledge of battledress is very poor to say the least, I was hoping this would fit in with my Dunkirk photos but without a guesstimate date I imagine it could be any time in France (1940, a raiding party between then and June 1944, or afterwards), Belgium or Holland.

The lack of bling on the Germans is also making me think early war and the blurred soldier at the back may be French or Belgian as it looks like he has long putties.

Thanks for any help.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Date a POW photo by battledress pattern?   Date a POW photo by battledress pattern?  

Date a POW photo by battledress pattern?  

I would say early war as all of the Germans in the photo are wearing m36 tunics so most likely Dunkirk

1940 France/Belgium for sure.

BD's are pure 37 pattern and are worn devoid of div flashes etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree...Western Campaign, Summer of 1940...
    Glenn

1940 Dunkirk.

?

Thank you one and all!

It fits neatly into my other France 1940 photos, many of which are from the Dunkirk area. I think the photo may belong to an album similar to the 1936 Olympic albums as it has a paper label glued to the reverse stating '22. Tommies on the march to Berlin.'

Tony

I'm sure i've seen a very similar photo and it was described as British prisoners near Dunkirk!...

Dating by the German uniforms does suggest early war as suggested. Not to put too fine a point on it but also note the lack of awards on the German uniforms. If it was later you would expect to see some ribbons or awards. NH

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it but also note the lack of awards on the German uniforms. If it was later you would expect to see some ribbons or awards. NH
    My thoughts too Neil.
    Would be good if the photo was much clearer and included a date, place, street name and units

Tony