Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated

Article about: Hello guys, I picked up this identified jacket on Ebay. The story seems to check out. Basically the description says that this jacket, hat and plate came from Paul Elmer Weitzel. The plate c

Default Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated

Hello guys, I picked up this identified jacket on Ebay. The story seems to check out. Basically the description says that this jacket, hat and plate came from Paul Elmer Weitzel. The plate came from the church where his wedding took place. It furhter says: "World War II Veteran Paul E. Weitzel. Paul was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1916-2009). He enlisted in the Army in 1941 at the age of 25, served overseas in England, France, Belgium and Germany through 5 Campaigns as noted on his European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 5 STARS representing 5 campaigns."
    I found his obituary on this site: Paul Elmer Weitzel, II (1916 - 2009) - Find A Grave Memorial.
    The obituary confirms that he was from the Phila area and was married at that church. It also confirms that he had a home in Maine (he worshiped at the West Rockport Baptist Church there).
    Also the Ebay seller was from Maine.
    I thought it all added up so I bought the items.
    What do you guys think?
    Authentic in that it was actually Mr. Weitzel's WWII clothing?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated   Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated  

Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated   Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated  

Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated   Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated  

?

Default Re: Ebay find - any comments would be appreciated

Going by the " ruptured duck ", that would mean he would have worn this post war, continuing I the military?

To my knowledge it's authentic. The stories add to the piece heavily. I have the Ike Jacket of a gentleman by the name of Wallace Huge (Pronounced Hough-Gee). He was a crewman in a tank destroyer (M-18) during WW2. It's always wonderful to know the story of an item. Congrads on the great purchase. But beware ebay is full of fake stuff beware particularly of anything German, from photo's to helmets. Like I said looks good to me but just to make sure wait for the advice of one of the more knowledgeable fellows!

Nice little original Ike jacket. Nothing amiss here. Good that it still has the original insignia still on it-so many of these were stripped of them as the jackets became older and more tattered and tossed out. Sometimes, they didn't even bother to strip them! Nice pick up.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Nice Ike Jacket. Great provenance,
    The ruptured duck was the insignia used for discharged military personell. It was mandatory for it to be on the uniform to be discharged. It told current military officers and others that they were civilians in uniform returning home. It also said that any officer trying to give the individuals any type of order would get their butts kicked.

I would agree. It would be his "going home" uniform after service in WWII. It look genuine enough to me.. nice set

In my opinion, eBay is no worse than anywhere else in it's fakes/crap vs good stuff ratio.

Rob

Thank you all very much for your input.

?

mine has the buckles on the sides also,,, nice one

I believe if they have buttons on the side and a double clasp instead of a single snap in the middle button area they are post war. Buckles are usually war time. -Ben