Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ex RWF senior field officers tunic

Article about: I have this on its way to me. Has regimental buttons for the Royal Welch Fusiliers and field officer collar tabs. The seller did not show pictures of the shoulder straps, so I'll have to wai

Default Ex RWF senior field officers tunic

I have this on its way to me. Has regimental buttons for the Royal Welch Fusiliers and field officer collar tabs. The seller did not show pictures of the shoulder straps, so I'll have to wait and see what if anything they have on them. They only showed the front, so not sure if it has a flash, but probably not as he appears post war to have transferred out of the RWF, as he has a Africa GSM which must be for Kenya in the 50's and the regiment did not see service there.

It is possibly of pre WWII date as it has a 30's India service medal ribbon on it, as well as an OBE among others including WWII service ribbons and the QEII coronation ribbon from 53.

I'll post my own pics when it arrives. Hopefully it will have a named label in the inside pocket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex RWF senior field officers tunic   Ex RWF senior field officers tunic  

Ex RWF senior field officers tunic   Ex RWF senior field officers tunic  

Last edited by Jerry B; 04-29-2014 at 04:01 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It arrived, but is somewhat of a conundrum.

It is named, to as far as I can read, Major J.R.H. ORR, dated 1/11/44, made in India by Ranken -I have a RWF officers side cap by the same makers- and is the war time economy version with simplified lower pockets, though as is typical for India, it has a few extras such as buttons on the cuffs. The buttons appear original to it, though a few have been resewn, but no problem and it has faint traces of it having the black flash on the reverse, which would have been removed by regulation when he was promoted out of the regiment.

The gorget collar patches are for Colonel or Brigadier, though the shoulder rank is for a full General. They have the correct George VI buttons for pre 1953.

It is in very good condition for its age and unusually is a large size size. It also comes with its cloth waist belt.

As yet I have failed to find him in an online search. Has anyone tried the London Gazette site since they updated/changed it, what a pain!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex RWF senior field officers tunic   Ex RWF senior field officers tunic  

Ex RWF senior field officers tunic   Ex RWF senior field officers tunic  

Regards,

Jerry

Got this from another forum from someone who is researching him. He was RWF, yes.

Colonel J R H Orr CBE
    John Reginald Henry Orr (380336) As Lieutenant Colonel he was awarded the Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in the Queen’s 1953 Coronation list. As Colonel for Services in Kenya he was awarded the Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

OBE London Gazette 1st June 1953
    CBE London Gazette 19th June 1955
    Regards,

Jerry

Got this from the 1953 honours list, 1953 Coronation Honours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lieutenant-Colonel John Reginald Henry ORR (80336), Employed List I (late The Royal Welch Fusiliers).
    Regards,

Jerry

great_research_mate_and_a_nice_pick_up_to.

And this for his CBE in 1955 as a Brigadier (temporary)

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4153

SUPPLEMENT TO The London Gazette of Friday 15th July 1955

appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, in recognition of distinguished services in Kenya during the period 21st October, 1954, to 20th April, 1955:

To be Additional Commanders of the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order:

Brigadier (temporary) John Reginald Henry ORR Late infantry
    Regards,

Jerry

From the LG.

Has him listed as unattached on the Indian army list, 31st August 1928

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...3417/page/5773

Appointment as 2nd LT gazetted January 1930, seniority from 30th Aug 1928

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...33573/page/503
    Regards,

Jerry

Still need to find out if he made it to General, or has the rank insignia been pimped. So far have him as brigadier which matches the gorget patches and easy to convert it back to that rank.
    Regards,

Jerry

And a photograph of him when still serving with the RWF and it appears to be an economy 40 pattern BD. A shame it is not the same tunic, but the person who provided this for me will hopefully find more, as well as more info on him.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ex RWF senior field officers tunic 
    Regards,

Jerry

A bit more from members on the regimental forum.

Regarding the photograph, its from a 1948 Shooting team pic of 1RWF.

In Regimental Records it is also noted he was later Brig JRH Orr CBE..1908-1968
    Service No 380336.
    So I assume he was never a full General.

His CBE was added to his OBE for his Kenya service 53-55 with 70(EA) Bde.
    His MID as a Brigadier!! in 1954 with 70 Bde.
    His OBE was from his service(I assume as CO) with 23 Kings African Rifles in 1952 as a Lt Col.

Thanks to the members of the regimental forum for helping with this.

A member there is researching him, not sure what for, perhaps a new book or for the museum.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast