Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Father (USMC) & Son (USN) Grouping - UNIS Marked Gear, Theater Made Insignia

Article about: This is more of a grouping, but I figured the uniform section would be the best fit. In any case, picked up this grouping yesterday from the thrift shop of all places. It is a father an son

?

Default Father (USMC) & Son (USN) Grouping - UNIS Marked Gear, Theater Made Insignia

This is more of a grouping, but I figured the uniform section would be the best fit.

In any case, picked up this grouping yesterday from the thrift shop of all places.

It is a father an son grouping. Father was Sgt Henry J Abbott. Sgt Abbott enlisted with the Marine Corps September 23rd, 1940, and was discharged November 18th 1946.

From April 1942 to June 1944, Abbott served with the 1st Marine Division. Looks like he was with 3/7 (3rd Battalion, 7th Regiment) the entire time, per the muster rolls. He likley participated in the Guatal Canal Campaign. He definitely was at the Battle of Cape Gloucester (New Britain Campaign), as he was awarded the Silver Star for actions on January 14th, 1944.

Link to the citation here:

Valor awards for Henry James Abbott

From December 1944-January 1946, he was with the 4th Mardiv. He served with 1/23. He likely participated in the the Iwo Jima campaign.

Abbott passed away in 1999, and is interred in Arlington National Cemetery. Link to his Findagrave below:

Sgt Henry J Abbott (1917 - 1999) - Find A Grave Memorial

The Father's items consist of his painted footlocker, UNIS marked M41 pack (1/23), 4th Mardiv SSI, Cape Gloucester tab, Sgt chevron, Japanese Occupation Military bank note, and lastly, a marine corps service jacket made by the vet's wife for their son. On the jacket is an Australian made 1st Mardiv SSI.

Footlocker

UNIS Marked M41 Pack

4th Mardiv SSI, Sgt Chevron and Cape Gloucester Tab

Occupation Bank Note

Child's Service Jacket w/Aussie made 1st Mardiv SSI

Last edited by Masonk; 04-02-2016 at 09:30 PM.

?

The son, Henry J. Abbott Jr., served in the US Navy during Vietnam.

Information is limited, however I know that he served from January 3rd, 1969 until December 1st, 1972. The rate on his headstone is CTO3, which would be Cryptologic Technician 3rd class. Henry Jr passed away in 2009, and is also interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

Link to his Findagrave memorial:

Henry James Abbott (1948 - 2009) - Find A Grave Memorial

His items consist of a patch for the US Naval Communications Training Center, and his M65 Field Jacket. The field jacket has all theater (Vietnamese) made insignia. Have been unsuccessful in identifying the pocket patch.

Training Patch

M65 Field Jacket

Nice finds!!!

?

More fantastic item.Thanks for sharing them. For some reason I'm drawn to the Marine Corps items

CTO is Crypto Tech Communications. Hence the Comm school patch from Pcola.

And square away that Sgt. chevron . It's upside down

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-02-2016 at 03:51 AM.

?

That is a very nice find.

?

Thanks, gentlemen!

?

Just had to do it. My ying and yang are in harmony once again
    Attached Images Attached Images Father (USMC) & Son (USN) Grouping - UNIS Marked Gear, Theater Made Insignia 

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Just had to do it. My ying and yang are in harmony once again
    Didn't your mama tell you that playing with your ying yang will make you go blind ?

?

Fixed. I didn't even notice when uploading. My photo editing software tends to change the orientation of images for some reason.

?

Received a call from the shop yesterday, as they had located a few other items. Was able to pick up this UNIS marked Canteen and Web Belt. Both are also ID'd to Abbot.

The canteen cover also appear to be named to another Marine, J.R. Pope. Found a few matches in the muster rolls, but no way to confirm which JR Pope this would have belonged to.

Lastly, the shop also found a trench art Salt/Pepper shaker (contents still inside) that were included with Abbott's items, so I can only assume it was his.