Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

French Tropical uniform

Article about: This photo was in a stack from my Uncle Charles Davin. He was a Sapper on the Maginot Line and in the service prior to WWII. I think this is a photo of a friend. It is tropical service obvio

Default French Tropical uniform

This photo was in a stack from my Uncle Charles Davin. He was a Sapper on the Maginot Line and in the service prior to WWII. I think this is a photo of a friend. It is tropical service obviously. Can anyone shed any light on this uniform and tropical helmet? Thanks. NH

French Tropical uniform

It appears the helmet on the shelf is a model 1886 sun helmet. I don't know what the soldier is wearing. NH

Only a speculation: Because of his hat, maybe Zouaves, Tirailleurs, Spahis, African artillery or Lebanese (Levante) units. Maybe do you recognize a figure on his collar tabs at the original photo?

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 03-08-2015 at 12:31 AM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917