Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group

Article about: by Jerry B These were exactly my thoughts on this group, but thankfully, though they were very dusty and there are some old repairs, the moths have not been near them as far as I can see. It

Default Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group

Whilst out for a jolly today I popped into a furniture store in a nearby village and bought some old bowls for the house as they sell mostly new furniture but sometimes have some 2nd hand or antique items. On the way out I commented that it was shame that the uniform hanging on the stairs was looking a bit neglected as I had seen it there a year or so back and it was gathering dust. The woman behind the counter said it belonged to the owner but was not his and it was not for sale, but if I wanted to make an offer and leave my phone number she would ask him. She said he had turned down plenty of offers for it in the past so she was not hopeful, but as she had suggested doing it I duly made an offer, left my card and started to drive home, without any expectation. Anyway I had only gone about a mile when my mobile rang so I pulled over expecting it to be about work, but it was the woman from the shop and she said he would sell it and also it had the flat cap to go with it and he wanted a bit more than my offer, but still a good price and I had enough money on me, so I went back and found it also had the SD trousers to go with the SD cap, SD tunic (missing one of its rank crowns) and Great coat, all to the same Royal Artillery Lt Colonel, named in the tunic and trousers to Jones, dated June 1941 ( I know, but this is west Wales so you almost expect it to be Jones). The seller, himself an elderly gentleman and ex member of the South Wales Borderers stated that he also has the owners steel helmet and might have some other items from him and he will phone me about them when he finds them at his home.

To say I am pleased to get this group is an understatement as I had admired it previously and the price was good as well. I don't know why he had decided to sell it, but maybe my concern for it rather than asking straight out to buy it struck a chord with him. I have also attached a picture of the label that was pinned to it, which I had thought was a nice touch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group   Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group  

Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group   Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group  

Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group   Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group  

Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group

congrats Jerry , nice score my friend

Just adding this image to show his medals and what they are. The QE II coronation medal and the cadet forces medal are both post war issues.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Furniture store find RA Lt Col complete uniform group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Very Nice find Jerry.

?

Good find Jerry...You never know what you are going stumble over!!! Cheers Terry.

?

Great royal artillery uniform, nice find

AIF
    ?

Well done on a great score mate!! There is a WW2 Australian officers uniform like this in a local junk shop over here with a very similar story... It just hangs there fading in the QLD sun covered in dust and being eaten by moths but the shop owner wont sell it, I did try to buy it from him a few times years ago when it was still in good condition but he always said no... Last time I went in the shop about 6 months ago it was near buggered which really annoyed me

I'm glad you were able to get this one and save it from a similar fate

AIF
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Just adding this image to show his medals and what they are. The QE II coronation medal and the cadet forces medal are both post war issues.
    Hey Jerry I'm not sure If you heard but we ended up winning the war...It's an Africa star LOL

Quote by AIF View Post
    Hey Jerry I'm not sure If you heard but we ended up winning the war...It's an Africa star LOL
    Feck what a muppet.

I am so used to spelling it with a K because of my interest in DAK items that I did not even notice, DOH!!!
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by AIF View Post
    Well done on a great score mate!! There is a WW2 Australian officers uniform like this in a local junk shop over here with a very similar story... It just hangs there fading in the QLD sun covered in dust and being eaten by moths but the shop owner wont sell it, I did try to buy it from him a few times years ago when it was still in good condition but he always said no... Last time I went in the shop about 6 months ago it was near buggered which really annoyed me

I'm glad you were able to get this one and save it from a similar fate
    These were exactly my thoughts on this group, but thankfully, though they were very dusty and there are some old repairs, the moths have not been near them as far as I can see.

It sounds a real shame about the tunic you mention and the owner needs an attitude readjustment IMHO
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast