Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic

Article about: I 'd like to share one more piece from my collection, a Greek Royal Air Force 1935-ww2 era tunic with Wing Commander rank insignia. Having a look at the ribbon bar (Order of Phoenix Silver C

Default Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic

I 'd like to share one more piece from my collection, a Greek Royal Air Force 1935-ww2 era tunic with Wing Commander rank insignia.

Having a look at the ribbon bar (Order of Phoenix Silver Cross, Military Merit Medal -3rd, 2nd or 1st class, device is unfortunately missing, so can't be sure- and ww1 Victory Medal), the officer was not highly decorated for his rank. All of his awards are of the Venizelist and Republic periods, so maybe this man was out of the force for some time due to the political purges of these times in the military and later called back to service during the dictatorship of I. Metaxas, in the timeframe of the reorganization of the air force.

The tunic contained a little "surprise" in the left breast pocket. The officer had in it a pin holding an amulet with "wood taken from the holy cross", a highly cherished artifact in the christian orthodox tradition.

Regards, Giorgos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic   Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic  

Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic   Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic  

Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic  

Default Re: Greek 1935-WW2 Wing Commander tunic

Hi Giorgos, very interesting to see as these are unheard of here in the UK. The influence of the RAF uniform can be seen in the tunic's design. I like it very much.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade!

Greek army and RHAF uniforms of the era are indeed clearly influenced by the British Service Dress patterns. This one, following a strange "tradition", which had it that officers' buttons were to be of foreign manufacture, has British made buttons.

1936 was a turning point in uniform designs in the Greek military, something that was undertaken by the royalist dictatorship of I. Metaxas, during the radical reorganization of the armed forces.

It seems funny, but the triumph of the royalist faction over the venizelist one was also mirrored on uniforms and awards, with this turn to British patterns, while the other party (once and for all defeated in 1935) preferred French ones (these are ultra-rare). It really looks like they put every effort for a "damnatio memoriae", even in such a symbolic level!

RHAF uniforms are pretty rare even in Greece, it is just the fifth one I see and only the second one bearing this rank! The RHAF was a tiny force of 77 planes and literally a handful of Wing Commanders, mostly commanding large formations.

Regards, Giorgos

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    I 'd like to share one more piece from my collection, a Greek Royal Air Force 1935-ww2 era tunic with Wing Commander rank insignia.

Having a look at the ribbon bar (Order of Phoenix Silver Cross, Military Merit Medal -3rd, 2nd or 1st class, device is unfortunately missing, so can't be sure- and ww1 Victory Medal), the officer was not highly decorated for his rank. All of his awards are of the Venizelist and Republic periods, so maybe this man was out of the force for some time due to the political purges of these times in the military and later called back to service during the dictatorship of I. Metaxas, in the timeframe of the reorganization of the air force.

The tunic contained a little "surprise" in the left breast pocket. The officer had in it a pin holding an amulet with "wood taken from the holy cross", a highly cherished artifact in the christian orthodox tradition.

Regards, Giorgos
    Giorgos,
    Very nice. I have been dabbling in aviation stuff for years and one never sees Greek aviation uniforms or insignia for that matter. Very informative, thanks for sharing.
    Terry

keep posting greek millitary items

Another wonderful tunic Giorgos, thank you for showing us some of your nice collection.

Jay

?

Was this man a pilot? What were their pilot wings at this time?