Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Dating Uniform

Article about: Hello, I have recently picked up this uniform, and I need help dating it, I have found no labels in any pockets, any help would be appreciated

Default Help Dating Uniform

Hello, I have recently picked up this uniform, and I need help dating it, I have found no labels in any pockets, any help would be appreciated
    Help Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating Uniform

?

Well this one has me stumped definitely not American, if had to guess a would say Australian from the 40s

Scottish cut SD tunic, late 1920's through to 50's, probably circa WWII, but hard to date these precisely.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 12-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Scottish pattern worn by the British and Canadian Highland Regt's. The cut away front is to allow the sporran to be worn.

Actually I have a very similar one, but named and dated, not shown it on the forum yet. I will take some pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you for your answers, I should add that I do know it is commonwealth, and a cutaway for an officer in a highland regiment.

Help Dating Uniform

The tunic on the right is a KD cutaway, the one on the left is the tunic in question. I need to know what period would have the expanding pockets and brass belt loops?

The one I mentioned that is in my collection is dated 1965. It has brass belt supports and has expanding pockets.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This one has the waistband which did not usually feature on officers' SD after WW1, so I would date it to that period. The waistband was already falling out of favour by the end of the war, with sometimes just a ticket pocket or single seam, and sometimes nothing at all.

So the waistband was WW1 only? If so, thank you for the information!

Hi mate I'm far from an expert on these but here is a picture of my Scottish pattern SD tunic for comparison. Mine is made in Australian In 1965 . the Scottish stuff seems hard to date if there is no date or tag that has a date .
    Help Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating Uniform

here is a a Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt I bought I was told that it was WW2 era .but as jerry pointed out to me because it is not dated on the tag or anywhere else the only way to really date this is the general service buttons which could date it anywhere between 1901 and 1953 . It could be a hard one to date I believe .

Help Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating UniformHelp Dating Uniform

Thank you for sharing these with me, they are great examples of cutaways. The tailored ones are usually hard to date, but sometimes you can find little tags hiding in pockets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast