Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed creating US Nuremberg trials uniform.

Article about: Hi all Would like to create a replica of the security guards uniform at the Nuremberg trials. Have gathered some of the insignia required. looking for a template to create the decal on the s

?

Default Help needed creating US Nuremberg trials uniform.

Hi all

Would like to create a replica of the security guards uniform at the Nuremberg trials.
    Have gathered some of the insignia required.
    looking for a template to create the decal on the side of the helmet liner and which boots did they wear ?

Thanks in Advance

Garry

?

Hi Gary,
    The helmet decal was a miniature of the SSI, worn by permanent staff, designed by Col. Burton C. Andrus. I have an original DUI that I shall post here when I have more time. That should give you a good reference to work from.
    The boots worn varied from unit to unit, but tended to be service shoes with white leggings or, very occasionally, paratrooper boots in the courtroom, while prison guards tended to wear M43 combat boots or service shoes with OD leggings.
    All the best,
    Bob

?

Hello again Garry,
    I have a little more time this morning, so to flesh out my initial reply...
    This is my International Military Tribunal DUI, as worn by IMT regular staff members only. A matching SSI was also worn by these personnel.
    This will, however, give you a good reference for the decals, with all details and edging picked out in white (the liners and white accoutrements were held on IMT stock and issued to the guard detachments as assigned and rotated).
    The Guard Detachments themselves would wear their own Regimental and Divisional insignia, as seen in the image included here (26th Infantry, 1st ID). These men tended to be, and were expressly chosen as, highly decorated combat veterans. For the original ‘big names’ trial in 1945/46, the 1st Infantry Division was chosen to provide the Guard Detachment.
    Some men, while awaiting demobilisation and repatriation, were transferred into the assigned Regiment and can be recognised by the wearing of their previous combat division insignia on the right shoulder.
    It should be noted that the Guard Detachments were not MPs, but combat infantrymen, though a few members of the IMT Staff (which includes the Internal Security Detachment Commanders), were. These Staff personnel can be distinguished by the IMT SSI, DUI and guard commanders by the ISD Armband.
    As noted before, standard footwear for the guards and IMT staff was service shoes with white leggings. One veteran claims to have been issued with British Ammunition Boots, with studded soles, though this is difficult to verify from period photographs.

I hope that lot is clear enough. It’s a lot more complicated than it looks!
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed creating US Nuremberg trials uniform.  
    Last edited by Kohima; 09-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.

?

Thank you Bob

Your post is most helpful, information on their uniforms is scarce, I did see the info on the veterans claim on wearing black boots, hence my post.
    I am aware that the guards were not MP's, but some were from the 793rd MP battalion, This will be the uniform I have chosen to replicate as I have managed to purchase 793rd DUI's.

Regards Garry

?

You are most welcome Garry.
    Just let me know if there are any further details you require.
    This is a subject that I have a particular interest in and have been fortunate enough to acquire a tiny handful of original items from the trials themselves. As you know, such items are extremely scarce and highly sought after. I just wish I could find (and afford) many more!

Cheers,
    Bob