Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???

Article about: Hi all I got this service doublet/jacket and kilt.The person I got it off said that it was Glasgow Highlanders and ww2 era . I was just wondering what peoples opinions are . thanks matty

Default Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???

Hi all I got this service doublet/jacket and kilt.The person I got it off said that it was Glasgow Highlanders and ww2 era . I was just wondering what peoples opinions are .
    thanks matty

Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???

Hi Matthew, Scottish for certain with the cut of the jacket, looks fine though hard to date exactly, but WWII period seems right. Does it have GS buttons?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

yes jerry it does here is a picture of the shoulder pips and buttons . captains rank I think ??

No tag on the kilt though .

Captain is correct. Kings crown GS buttons so if they are original would date it to between 1901 and 1953, so not much help really.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I believe this to be post war as the HLI were not a kilted regiment until 1947.

hello poland I thought that to be the case but this is a apparently gordon highlanders which were apart of the HLI regiment during ww2 and they were kilted . they were the only kilted part of the regiment before 1947 the standard HLI they wore trews . I did huge amounts of research into this in the recent weeks. And it all checks out that it is probable to be ww2 .I'll try to find the site and post a link for you to have a read . thanks for the info though.

jwp
    ?

At the outbreak of WW2 the Glasgow highlanders were a TA unit, they went on to form a battalion of the highland light infantry during the war, reverting to TA again in 1947. this is a cap badge I picked up a couple of weeks back, the original lugs have been replaced with two new ones in a different postion.Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???Highland light infantry / Glasgow Highlanders coat and kilt age ???

Just adding that officers KD tunics should in theory have regimental buttons, but not always the case but perhaps this has had its buttons and possible the insignia replaced at some stage and those on it now might not be original so it might not be HLI.

PS nice badge John
    Regards,

Jerry

very nice badge John I'll be hunting one of these up soon ... you could be correct jerry . the guy I got this off I'v bought alot of stuff off most of which is missing buttons and insignia some with mixed buttons on them too . So it is highly possible that these buttons are not original to the coat .He said he sells it and keeps it as he buys it . I can't find any good sites on Scottish attire there is some info out there but all seems a little hazy .Like most other regiments it seems that during war time uniform requirements were relaxed more. I'v got a good book Uniforms of ww2 by peter darman that the Mrs picked up for me ... good woman she is .. I remember reading about a German kriegsmarine officer wearing A khaki battle dress reported to be from made from captured British stocks .and I thought WOW never would have thought that possible . I'm guessing as well that maybe the buttons might be original if this was worn or to be worn on the field and the regimental buttons possibly on the parade/dress attire ?? I found on a forum somewhere earlier today A picture of A ww2 highland light infantry solider in a kilt It did not say he was gordon highlanders though I think it was but couldn't see the cap badge in the picture to tell.I'll have to try to find some HLI pictures and see if the buttons are recognisable . Well thanks again for the info guys appreciate it as always . and if anyone finds a good site on scottish attire and or regimental ware please let me know .
    cheers
    matty .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast