Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

to identify US patch insignia and jacket.

Article about: Hi everyone . A friend of the family heard I was collecting military stuff and said I can have some old stuff they had laying around from a sailor that used to stay with them while in port a

Default to identify US patch insignia and jacket.

Hi everyone . A friend of the family heard I was collecting military stuff and said I can have some old stuff they had laying around from a sailor that used to stay with them while in port and served on he uss constellation .two cool old zippo lighters with the uss constellation a heap of patches and a jacket . I'm not sure if the jacket is military issue see pictures . I'd love to know about the patches does anyone know a good reference web page??? . to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.to identify US patch insignia and jacket.

?

All post WWII patches. Squadron patches commonly used for flight suits and jackets probably Viet Nam era or later.
    Military associated Zippo's are the best pieces. Don't have a clue as to value.

There are some good reference books out on postwar Navy & USMC patches, easy way to search is use the internet, I think you will find most of them,
    for example, VFA 25 "The Fist of the Fleet" is Strike Fighter Squadron 25, and some info on the patch from Wikipedia:-
    The squadron’s first insignia was approved by CNO on September 28, 1944 and was indicative of its mission as a torpedo squadron, consisting of a four leaf clover, horseshoe and flying torpedo.

A black fist clenching a red lightning bolt on a field of yellow became the squadron’s second insignia and has been in use, with some modifications, since CNO approval on June 9, 1949. The fist on the Insignia is actually Zeus' fist from Greek Mythology.

On July 24, 1959, CNO approved a modification to the insignia which added a scroll with the designation VA-25.

On January 24, 1974 CNO approved another modification to the insignia, adding three black stars. When the squadron was designated VFA-25 it continued to use the fist and lightning bolt insignia but dropped the three stars. 4 stars were again added (date unknown) representing wars in which VFA-25 has flown aircraft into combat: WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and most recently, Iraq.

Bob

Just a bit more, here is a good reference book on US Navy Air Patches, I don't think it costs too much, and covers a wide range of patches in colour,
    the book is 96 pages. Your jacket is a Navy issue flight jacket too, and the round patch looks like something the crew did for one of their 80 day
    cruises in the early 80's.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images to identify US patch insignia and jacket. 

Thanks for the info guy's stocked the jacket is military much appreciated as always