MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt

Article about: A Khaki Drill 'Safari Shirt' - Maker is M.TX so I believe it is Australian. The large gilded buttons are a mystery to me. Can someone help me ID? No date on the shirt. Is the marking '7.43'

Default Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt

A Khaki Drill 'Safari Shirt' - Maker is M.TX so I believe it is Australian.

The large gilded buttons are a mystery to me. Can someone help me ID?

No date on the shirt. Is the marking '7.43' on the sewn docket a date?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt   Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt  

Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt  

MTX is for Melbourne Textiles I'd like to think that the tag shows the date but I don't think it does, could just be a tag cat no.. Here's a war time SA made RAN tag for comparison with a '37 on it. I reckon what you have there could be ww2, but I need to see the mtx tag as mtx is a tough one! my Mum worked there in the late 50's but that will be no help!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-27-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: added pic & text

one more thing, are the buttons sewn in? I'm not sure on what they are? again! one more it is not common to see a mtx dated tag too, this is the only one I have ever seen in my small world . in the early 60's mtx changed to C.G.C.F commonwealth government clothing factory
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-27-2018 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added pic & text

Many thanks Rene, A quick look and the buttons are not sewn in and were perhaps added later, interestingly after looking under the fold, its been sanforized, I have not seen this yet on anything else except denim jeans. Here is an image of the M.TX tag. I purchased from the Cowra War Museum auction so I assume the 'North Africa' writing was added there for display purposes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt   Identifying Buttons and Dating Khaki Drill Shirt  

The 7/43 is perhaps the date, the colour of the letters in mtx change from red to brown or vice versa.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I strongly suspect the buttons are simply gents blazer buttons. They typically have a "heritage" look about them but the details have no real meaning. I'm guessing blackened rising sun buttons would be appropriate?

Oz.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen,
    After removing the gilt buttons it was obvious they were not right. They were hollow and of cheap make. I have now installed a minty set of dark bakelite Australian Military Forces buttons. I also managed to scrub off most of the annoying written mark on the name tag. Cheers