Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Leather GS buttons

Article about: Can anyone tell me if these are a rare style of GS button please. I have had them for some years now and bought them on a whim. Just that I have not seen these types of buttons on many tunic

Default Leather GS buttons

Can anyone tell me if these are a rare style of GS button please. I have had them for some years now and bought them on a whim. Just that I have not seen these types of buttons on many tunics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Leather GS buttons   Leather GS buttons  

I have seen these used on officers great coats in the past , they are harder to find than the metal ones but can still be found for sell from time to time

NCA
    ?

I've heard they are fairly scarce..been told WW1 economy...I got a Denim Battledress with them fitted on so could be both wars!

Leather GS buttonsLeather GS buttonsLeather GS buttonsLeather GS buttonsLeather GS buttonsThanks for the info you guy's. I have dug out one of my WW1 officers tunics to a Major Wilde, dated 1915 with his issued 1915 Sam Brown belt to the Manchester Reg. These buttons are of, what I think are called 'leather football' type buttons. Please correct me if they are known by another name. The tunic is in remarkable condition and came with provenance from the granddaughter of Major Wilde. This is one of my favourite WW1 tunics. Thought I'd share the experience.

Hi Steve, very nice.

You are correct on the name of the football buttons.

They were still worn in WW2. As ever, Officers bought their own kit and these were an option.

The buttons which started this thread are seldom seen.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I have a Private Purchase, Quartermasters Canadian WW1 Tunic that has these buttons on it. They are hard to find.

Dean O
    Canada

The impressed leather GS buttons are rare, I have an RFC O lightweight jacket with them. Your Manchesters Lt Col. ensemble is most spectacular!. The formation flashes were worn starting in 1916, and proliferated towards the end of the war with several thousands of variations for a myriad of units. Well done. Any headgear with it?

jones03
    ?

That was the great ancient collection. In today's world we can't see that type of Leather GS buttons.