Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lt. Don Spangle

Article about: This started out as a USAF grouping to a Capt. Spangle that I posted partially in the aviation history section. Everything was pulled out of a barn(I swear it's true!) and I started with the

Default Lt. Don Spangle

This started out as a USAF grouping to a Capt. Spangle that I posted partially in the aviation history section. Everything was pulled out of a barn(I swear it's true!) and I started with the mans blue uniforms and his flight helmet and O2 mask. All were filthy and needed quite a bit of work. Then as we dug deeper I found a set of Army Nurses uniforms and a set of uniforms with pathfinder patches on the sleeves. So now I was beginning to believe that I was dealing with mother, father, and son. But then I found the boxes of records that Spangle kept throughout his very lengthy career. I was definately dealing with husband and wife but the USAF uniforms were Spangles after he rejoined the service after being let go in 1947. The man kept everything! Even his credit card reciepts for when he was traveling cross country to new assignments.
    So here is a small taste of what I am sorting (there are another 20 or so boxes to go through).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt. Don Spangle   Lt. Don Spangle  

Lt. Don Spangle   Lt. Don Spangle  

Default Re: Lt. Don Spangle

The box that I showed contains tons of records for the Mountain Home AFB in the 50's when Capt. Spangle was flying B-47's. I have probably 2000 pages of primary source material. Here are some more uniforms of his.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lt. Don Spangle   Lt. Don Spangle  

Lt. Don Spangle  

Nice group from a WWII US Aviator !
    I love the patina on the pilot wings ('LGB Sterling' ? !)

Please show us more if you have time..........

Regards, Steve.

This looks like a fantastic group! Love the Pathfinder connection.

Cheers, Ade.

Here's some more. the certificate from Stead is cool as that is about 40 minutes north of me and is also where the Reno Air Races are held. My friend also happens to be the FBO there so I get to run all over the place!

And here is some of Mary's uniform suite. It's a shame the picture negative was reversed and I am still hoping to find some more pictures. One of her hats was made in Belgium along with all of her Lt. bars.

Lt. Don Spangle  

ILH
    ?

a dream find- thanks for sharing!