Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Magic of Beer plus Ebay

Article about: i just view the website dont subscribe i like to read the articles interesting stuff.

Default The Magic of Beer plus Ebay

After coming home from the pub with boys i got on to ebay and made 4 bids on Raaf/Raf Items imagine my surprise and my wifes when i won them all.
    May have spent a little to much but over all happy Thanks Ebay and double thanks beer

Also any ideas what the raf jacket is i dont think its WW2 vintage waiting for it to arrive.

The Magic of Beer plus EbayThe Magic of Beer plus EbayThe Magic of Beer plus EbayThe Magic of Beer plus Ebay

Default Re: The Magic of Beer plus Ebay

anyone want to comment help with raf jacket would be great thanks guys

The RAF SD jacket is certainly post war and fairly modern.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by michael77 View Post
    anyone want to comment help with raf jacket would be great thanks guys
    Great that you are really happy with your items and ebay sure does throw up some good gear for us collectors a times. Tim.

thanks ade and tim .
    I struggle to find much cheap raaf in collectable shops so i think ebay is my best bet.
    Anyone in Oz Victoria/Nsw know of anywhere please email me thanks fellas

AIF
    ?

Hi mate, just replied to your PM good scores you got there I saw them on ebay myself, the kit bags are great have you searched for the original owners yet?

Name

BARNBAUM, SAMUEL

Service

Royal Australian Air Force

Service Number

Date of Birth

19 May 1919

Place of Birth

BRISBANE, QLD

Date of Enlistment

16 Dec 1942

Locality on Enlistment

Unknown

Place of Enlistment

BRISBANE, QLD

Next of Kin

BARNBAUM, ABRAHAM

Date of Discharge

19 Feb 1946

Rank

Flight Sergeant

Posting at Discharge

3 OPERATIONAL TRAINING UNIT

WW2 Honours and Gallantry

None for display

Prisoner of War

No
    not a great deal of info except for

RAAF PBY-5A Catalina, A24-69, (USN 34056) of 11 Squadron RAAF (Rathmines) caught fire and was totally destroyed while it was moored at East Arm near Darwin in the Northern Territory at 2330 hours on 14 December 1945. The aircraft was written off. The crew at the time was:-

F/Lt M. C. Vicar?, Pilot
    F/O Eric Marsh, 2nd Pilot (412820)
    F/Lt Serpell, Navigator
    F/Sgt Barnbaurn (possibly Samuel Barnbaum (434572))
    Sgt Byron Caskey Pierson, Fitter 11A, (47822)
    Sgt Woodward
    Sgt West

Two crew members were detailed to sleep on the aircraft overnight. They were Flying Officer Eric Marsh, and Sgt Byron Pierson. F/O Marsh had been asleep on the top of the hull above the navigator's compartment. He woke up and moved to the 2nd Pilot's hatch where he noticed what he thought was smoke coming from the Engineer's compartment. Sgt Pierson who was on the deck above the Navigator's compartment, noticed the smoke at the same time.

Sgt Pierson entered the Engineer's hatch, and gave the warning of a fire. F/O Marsh grabbed the fire extinguisher from No. 4 bulkhead and handed it to Sgt Pierson who directed the CO2 at the seat of the fire. F/O Marsh then went to find another extinguisher. They were unable to extinguish the fire. Sgt Pierson believed that the rear petrol gauges must have been alight. Being almost overcome by smoke and gas, Sgt Pierson gave the warning to abandon the aircraft. A dinghy was thrown overboard and both crew members jumped into the water.

With some difficulty they caught the attention of the crash boat. By the time the crash boat picked them up, the fire had obtained a hold on the mainplane and the fabric was burning furiously.

A work boat patrolled the burning wreckage until it was totally burnt out, and any danger to other aircraft had passed.

Sgt Pierson believes an electrical fault in the Engineer's panel may have started the initial small fire which spread to the petrol gauges.

This aircraft had originally been delivered to the RAAF in December 1943. The Catalina was on transport duties at the time and was due to leave for Cairns at first light the next morning.

This aircraft was also involved in an earlier accident on 21 February 1944 when it collided with a seaplane tender during fuelling operations at an unknown location (can anyone confirm the location please?). The pilot on that occasion was Flying Officer Herbert Alan Tregaskis (409009).

Isnt history great

AIF
    ?

haha yeah what a great story, where did you manage to find that?

Quote by AIF View Post
    haha yeah what a great story, where did you manage to find that?
    Peter Dunn
    Not a bad source of info but a bit dated

AIF
    ?

Good stuff I hadnt seen his site before, does he do research on servicemen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast