Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montgomery coat

Article about: I don't think that \\$65 is unreasonable, they were issued during the Korean and Viet Nam wars. It will make a nice display piece if you pick up and apply a period European unit patch and rank

Default Montgomery coat

Hello!
    I've just bought this coat for 50 euros. Now I have my doubts about it. Did I overpay it and is it even a military issue? According to colour, numbers and bakelite buttons it could be. Please help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Montgomery coat   Montgomery coat  

Montgomery coat   Montgomery coat  

Default Re: Montgomery coat

US military trenchcoat/raincoat ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Actually, I thought it's a British piece, but I can't be certain.

US winter overcoat, I still have mine in the closet, perfect match. Mine was issued in 65. John

Sorry, I meant U.S. Army. John

OK, so far so good. Is it for officers, NCO's or just regular GI's? Or was for everybody?

?

I can't say who it was issued to, but I BELIEVE(please correct me if I'm wrong) that the metal buckle on the belt means that it is Korean war issue. If you take all the pockets and turn them inside out, there should be a label with a date of manufacture.

Mine is dated March 1955. As far as getting an idea if yours was issued to an Officer or EM look on the upper left sleeve by the shoulder and see if a unit patch was sewn on at one time. If there is stitching look just below it for rank chevron outlines, for Officers there won't be any and for EM you will see them. I believe most of this type were issued to EM but its possible they were issued to Officers in the 50's. Without any of these it was probably an "Army Surplus" sale. John

Quote by doomtown View Post
    I can't say who it was issued to, but I BELIEVE(please correct me if I'm wrong) that the metal buckle on the belt means that it is Korean war issue. If you take all the pockets and turn them inside out, there should be a label with a date of manufacture.
    Unfortunately, there's no label, but thanks anyway!

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Mine is dated March 1955. As far as getting an idea if yours was issued to an Officer or EM look on the upper left sleeve by the shoulder and see if a unit patch was sewn on at one time. If there is stitching look just below it for rank chevron outlines, for Officers there won't be any and for EM you will see them. I believe most of this type were issued to EM but its possible they were issued to Officers in the 50's. Without any of these it was probably an "Army Surplus" sale. John
    Thanks John, it looks like it was "Army Surplus". That's good enough for me.
    So, did I overpay it? 50 Euros is around 65$ I believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast