Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first Ike jacket.

Article about: I picked up this December of 1944 dated Ike jacket recently. It seems this vet started in the 7th Army and got a couple campaign stars for hisAfrica Middle East and Europe ribbon. At some po

Default My first Ike jacket.

My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.My first Ike jacket.
    My first Ike jacket.
    I picked up this December of 1944 dated Ike jacket recently. It seems this vet started in the 7th Army and got a couple campaign stars for hisAfrica Middle East and Europe ribbon. At some point he got a purple heart and finished the war serving with the European Theater Command. I am not well versed enough in the characteristics of period jackets, but this one looked good to my novice eyes.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for looking!

I like it, ordinance, demobilized good early date

Looks fine.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for the replies guys! I was a bit nervous with it at first, but got more comfortable with it as I found more information. Thanks Ade and rene!

You have a nice looking Ike here.. I like the "plain jane" jackets, meaning that this one for a Soldier in Ordnance is showing that there were other Soldier's that helped win the war. Doesn't always have to be an Ike jacket from the 101st or 29th Infantry to help tell the story of WW2. Check for a name or serial number and we may be able to help ID a Soldier.. Names can be anywhere, so you have to look inside pockets and under pocket flaps, ect..

You did good. If I were still collecting Ikes, this one would have been in my collection...

Smitty

Thanks Smitty! I like the jacket and am very glad I put it in my collection. I also like the bronze campaign star on the world war two victory ribbon. My research seems to indicate veterans did it to signify that they had actually participated in combat. An interesting little touch.

Although not official per regulations, Yes I have also heard that Combat Veterans who were not identified by other means such as the Combat Infantryman's Badge would wear the campaign star on their WW2 Victory ribbon to signify that they were in a combat situation. The only authorized award for identifying Combat action at the time was the CIB, and CMB (Combat Medical Badge) and that was awarded to infantrymen and medics. Now we have the CAB (Combat Action Badge) for all those MOSs such as Ordnance and other jobs in the military that don't have a specific combat badge.

Smitty

Thanks Smitty! This Ike has really grown on me since I picked it up. At $25, I wasn't risking a large sum, but I wasn't sure of it at all. Now, I quite like it.

For $25 you did very well.. Ike Jackets can vary in price and yours in within a decent price range..

Smitty

Thanks Smitty! I hope i can get a couple more to go with this one.