Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue

Article about: The newest addition to my collection of Commonwealth Aviation uniforms and flight gear and my first Royal Australian Air Force piece . Would love to hear your thoughts.

yes both on OS service

?

Today's mail brought my RAAF Tropical BD jacket. I had thoughts that the jacket might be an unissued piece based on the seller's photos. Well, I believe I was correct, this jacket is flawless with no signs of being worn at all. I've taken a few additional photos that I posted here. Am I correct?

My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue

My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue

From the same seller, I also received this little prize, which I posted to another thread on this forum pertaining to RAF headgear. I think I did alright on these two RAAF pieces.

?

While fitting my BD jacket to one of my mannequins this morning I discovered that the jacket was not unissued as I had thought. A set of sergeant's chevrons had been removed from the right sleeve. I also found a little surprise in one of the exterior pockets. A pass or ticket to ride from Melbourne to Adelaide dated 1948. So the jacket was made in 1944 but worn in 1948 and still looks as the day it was made. that piece of paper has apparently been in the pocket for 68 years.

My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue My RAAF Tropical BD Blosue

Great find, it always pays off to check the pockets

?

That little piece of paper is older than I am. The remnants from the sergeant's chevrons tell me that they were probably post was due to their size, smaller than WW II chevrons I have on hand. Rene, were chevrons only worn on the right sleeve on Australian uniforms?

Right sleeve is correct

but I have in my collection a RAAF wool jacket with them on both! so I'm at odds on that

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    but I have in my collection a RAAF wool jacket with them on both! so I'm at odds on that

Is it possible that chevrons on the right sleeve only was limited to tropical uniforms only? I've been examining photos of RAAF personnel wearing tropical shirts or jackets and this seems to be the case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2