Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My relatives uniform idea

Article about: Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day. I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint

Default Re: My relatives uniform idea

Great thread! It is very nice of you to recreate the uniform your relatives would have worn. I'm trying to do some of the same, but it's very hard to find out what kind of uniform they would have worn without pictures of them, and limited information.

I wish I could help, and I want to wish you good luck on your project!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

thanks very much, will try and keep you updated

If anyone does have any of the items needed by myself please PM me with details

Many thanks

A very nice idea.. I'd love to do something like this!

Reading (and writing) that letter would have been truly difficult.. One can't even imagine...

Josh

?

yes i know, very sad

im looking on the net now for some Pat 37 KD shorts etc but am struggling, does anyone know a good place to get uniform bits and bobs?

?

are these the Pat 37 shorts I need to be getting?

they look the same as in the pics.

http://www.brittonatwar.co.uk/viewph...h=54036&phqu=3

thanks

Jim

?

after re-looking at the shorts i posted in comparison to the ones on my pictures I noticed that the ones in the pics have 2 buckles holding the waist up, whereas the ones for sale only have 1

and so I think these are the correct ones below
    http://www.brittonatwar.co.uk/viewph...h=53815&phqu=4

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Looks like he transfered out of the RA to the 5th Battl The Northamptonshire Regt.
    Just wanted to add that this was quite common towards the end of the war in both the British and Canadian armies. There was a huge manpower shortage in the infantry, and it was met by men from other arms. The Royal Artillery actually created some Infantry Regiments, RA and retrained men this way, but also supplied reinforcements to the infantry. In particular, Light Anti-Aircraft Regiments seem to have been a prime source, and many were disbanded, due mainly to their role of protecting divisions against air attack becoming redundant, as the Luftwaffe was defeated and no longer a threat.

By the way, there is a nice example of the GS Cap (the one he is wearing with a Northamptons Badge) on ebay. It's 1946 dated, but is a nice original worn example and would look great on a mannequin: Original WW2 British Army wool serge GS Cap - General Service beret | eBay

Rob

?

thanks for the link BCP , I will keep an eye on the hat!

do you know anything re: the shorts i posted up about

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    thanks for the link BCP , I will keep an eye on the hat!

do you know anything re: the shorts i posted up about
    Yes they look OK to me. You are right about the double strap/buckle thing, that was the usual type. I don't know if you noticed, but 998022 Williams is actually wearing two different patterns of shorts in the photos. The ones he wears while he is still in the RA have a field dressing pocket on the right leg, and the ones he has on in Northamptons garb do not. The ones you linked to also do not, so would be a good representation of the Nothamptons photo.

One other thing no-one else mentioned is that he is wearing puttees in his RA outfit and anklets in his infantry one.

Also, the collar badges are the wrong type, as they are officer's style in 'chocolate bronze'. The ones L/Bdr Williams would have had would be plain polishable brass. The cap is right though.

Rob

?

yes i have been looking at the officer type badges as thats what he had (not sure why)

now you say about the puttees and anklets, and dont know what they are/do

I will buy the shorts I have mentioned, and am bidding on a cap and officer badges

thanks again for all the info

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast