Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My relatives uniform idea

Article about: Thanks for the link to his grave details Ade, I now know the date of his death so I can try and find out what his unit were doing on that day. I know his wife visited the grave at somepoint

Default Re: My relatives uniform idea

Quote by Gouldy View Post
    yes i have been looking at the officer type badges as thats what he had (not sure why)
    I am going to have to beg to differ on that, unless you have some info I don't. In the picture of him wearing BD, he has Other Ranks type collar badges on, not officer type. Here is an example:

This one is being used as a cap badge on a Field Service Cap (the more normal configuration for the RA), but it is a standard collar badge mounted on a red cloth covered piece of tin for extra 'bling'. This is the type he has on his collar in the photo, as it's brass and shiny.

I posted a US-made Royal Artillery BD in a thread recently, but I took a quick snap of it to show you the collar. This one belonged to L/Bdr Fenton in the 1st Division in Italy (same theatre as Williams). It has definite signs that it had collar badges on too:

My relatives uniform ideaMy relatives uniform idea

By the wear and general grubbiness of the jacket, I would suspect that if it was his 'best BD' it was probably later relegated to active use and the badges removed (by him). However, BDs with collar dogs is an odd practice anyway, that seems to be more common amongst Italian Campaign units than ones in other theatres.

Finally, I took some pix of some Artillery Field service caps for your general interest:

Top to bottom: 1. Royal Artillery ORs with brass collar badge. 2. Royal Artillery ORs with plastic collar badge 3. Royal Artillery Officers with chocolate bronze gun badge (this one actually worn by a Canadian RSM)

1. Royal Canadian Artillery ORs (cotton material) 2. Royal Canadian Artillery ORs (wool serge material)

And finally some nice dress caps. 1. Royal Artillery ORs Coloured FS Cap
    1. Royal Canadian Artillery ORs Coloured FS Cap

now you say about the puttees and anklets, and dont know what they are/do
    I can do a basic run down on this, unless Ade already has somewhere Or he will.

Rob

Hi Rob, good stuff as per.

I have not covered ankle wear, so please feel free

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

thank you very much for that info BCP,I am on a massive learning curve at the moment and will probably trip over more times than I succeed LOL! ,

i am buying the shorts tomorrow morning and am bidding on the Collar badges and will fit one onto a Cap, I think the website has a pair of socks as well. but will double check this

Many thanks

Jim

thank you very much for that info BCP,I am on a massive learning curve at the moment and will probably trip over more times than I succeed LOL! ,

i am buying the shorts tomorrow morning and am bidding on the Collar badges and will fit one onto a Cap, I think the website has a pair of socks as well. but will double check this

Many thanks

Jim
    No problem, my intention was to give you a 'feel' for the stuff you are looking for.

On the sock front, I think that the artillerymen in the photos might be wearing 'hose tops and puttees' rather than long socks, but we might get some other opinions on that.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Rob, good stuff as per.

I have not covered ankle wear, so please feel free

Cheers, Ade.
    OK then, I will drag out my puttees, hose tops, ankets and socks etc, and see what I can come up with

Rob

?

i have got all the paperwork and some more photos ready to scan tomorrow when I get to work, I will get the shorts and I have also found some putties, just need some socks a shirt and a cap

?

would he have had the gear below????

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

as this looks very nice

would he have had the gear below????

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

as this looks very nice
    Yes

Rob

?

brilliant, thanks rob! what kind of money what that kit be worth in your opinion??

brilliant, thanks rob! what kind of money what that kit be worth in your opinion??
    I'm not the best person for values, but the waistbelt is the one that seems to fetch money these days. That one is a nice 'utility' type with the web sliders. The only thing that worries me is the 'Para' name (which I don't believe) which might send the bidding up :/

The gas mask case isn't a 'para' item either, its just a regular issue. However, the bigger 'Universal Pouches' are standard infantry issue, and the two-pocket pouches on the left (cartridge carriers) were common issue for artillery. The straps, gas mask case, belt and net were common to both. Map cases were used infantrymen, of course, but definitely by artillerymen, especially on OP duties and the like, which leaves you with the 'brace attachments', which are a bit irrelevant but you could sell them on.

I don't know, I'd pay 50 quid for the lot, maybe more.

Rob

The same seller has a nice set of puttees, and another belt set also I see. The puttees are exactly what you need I fancy

Rob

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast