Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

new editions to my collection khaki battledress's 1943 and 1944

Article about: 1943 battledress 1944 battledress I'm not sure if these were worn by a british or australian . I'd like to dress them up after they have a wash and iron . any idea's how is the best way to g

I'll start hunting up pant/shorts and webbing ASAP . I think they would look great displayed next to each other one with pant's and the other with shorts .A helmet for one and some head gear for the other Thanks again ade you are a great help as always . a treasure trove of war related knowledge .

So should I iron them to remove creases ? or not worry about it ?

If you are very careful, you can steam press them. But cover them with a clean white cloth and don't apply the iron directly.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

cheers again mate

You got them for a good price, KD BD's usually attract a premium, very nice. KD shorts can be found for about £20-35, headgear is another matter. A slouch hat always looks good with Brit tropical gear but can be quite pricey, but FS caps can be got for about the same price as that for the shorts.

Tropical slip ons do turn every now and then for about a tenner a pair, it depends on the rank or any unit signs, maybe a bit more with both. Do they have any holes in the shoulder straps as they might have had metal rank or unit titles on them?

A very good pick up IMHO, I would love to find one for that price.

I have an Indian made BD, the wool version, with badges for GHQ India, shown below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture new editions to my collection khaki  battledress's 1943 and 1944  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks jerry for all the good info I'm addicted to collecting and finishing off uniforms Oh And what a lovely BD .. looks spectacular And no holes in the shoulder straps . when I seen them I thought they were a good buy but because this is a new area of collecting for me I was unsure . At the price I was willing to take the gamble . Glad it has paid off for me cheers again for all the help .

I too have an Indian made (wool) BD Blouse. To be honest the quality of mine is pretty poor.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

quick note about washing -- A good friend of mine had a pliable US winter combat jacket, whacked it a cold water bath and it fell apart wool and all!!! SERIOUSLY

Ade do you think it was cheaper in the late 40's to get Bd's and other items made in india cheaply and quickly hence the poorer quality of the item? ....OH wow not good rene ... I'm defiantly not washing mine ... although they seem to be in really good condition and clean anyway.There just stiff and creased.I think the most I'll do is attempt the iron with a white cloth like ade suggested . thanks for the info guys amateurs like myself can destroy more then preserve these relics with out the knowledge that can only be gained from experience.To learn from your mistakes is great but to learn from others mistakes is far greater. ......thanks again guy's

Hi Matthew, some Indian made items were certainly less well made at times compared to other Commonwealth countries kit. I expect it was down to the skill of the workforce and also the demands of quickly kitting out a rapdily expanding army. Many British troops ended up wearing Indian made gear due to them being out in the Far East. I think the KD's and Jungle Greens were well enough made though.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2