Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?

Article about: Evening all. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these cavalry breeches. I have done a small amount of research which led me to believe they were issued to the Nolfolk Yeomanry

Default Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?

Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these cavalry breeches.

I have done a small amount of research which led me to believe they were issued to the Nolfolk Yeomanry - Around WW1.

*The Norfolk Yeomanry was a yeomanry regiment of the British Army. The regiment was raised in 1901 at the express wish of the new King Edward VII, and titled the Norfolk Imperial Yeomanry with the Royal cypher as their badge.*

They are made from a felt like material and have copper/zinc? buttons (some stamped) - including re-enforcement to inside leg, twin button at ankle, a small pocket at waist , button fly and a raised yellow stripe (textured).

I have bought and sold quite a few pairs in the past and when comparing the two the first thing I noticed was the material used. I haven't see this during WW2. They certainly look and feel older ? The inner trims are made from a canvas material - you will also notice a repair to the crotch area. As well as what looks to be replacement yellow stripe detailing, where the 'newer' material overlaps the old ? - Or was this the design.

Located to the inside lining is a clear 'broad arrow' WD mark and what looks like the original serviceman perhaps? I can read 'Laidlaw' ? & SKENE . As well as a name tag which looks to have been added at a much later date - The same applies to the blue ribbon hoops at waist.

If anyone should care to comment / verify that would be great.

All the best. Gillan

Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?Nofolk Yeomanry cavalry breeches . c. WW1 ?

So I decided to do a little search on Skene and came up with the following:

Skene (Gaelic: Sgainn) is a small farming community in North East Scotland some 10 km west of Aberdeen ?

Skene is the 2nd largest town in Mark Municipality, Västra Götaland County, Sweden ?

The breeches were acquired in the North of England.Not far from the border of Scotland. - Would that fit with the Scottish connection perhaps? - 'Laidlaw' being a common Scottish name.

Although unsure how that connects Norfolk exactly.... I understand that the name may not be a connection to where servicemen were based.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

Still on the hunt for information...