Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "

Article about: Thanks Lowboy , I'm back living on Cape Breton , North Sydney to be exact . I've been collecting for many years now , just wish I had collected more Allied stuff earlier when it was cheap an

CBH
    ?

Default Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "

Here are a set of named uniforms ,belonging to a Lt.Col Angus Norman MacDonald ED , the only Officer who served continuously with the Cape Breton Highlanders during WW2 .He was a Lieutenant in 1939 and became a Major by 1945 . He went on to command the unit as Lt-Col in 1949 , the unit was disbanded and became the 2nd Battalion of the Nova Scotia Highlanders , and the buttons were changed . I'd like to know what you all think , what would these tunics be called ? I'm putting together the insignia ,but buttons are hard to find . Also looking for shoulder flashes . Hope you like them . 100's post !
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "   Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "  

Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "   Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "  

Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "   Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "  

Default Re: Officer Uniforms" Cape Breton Highlander "

Congrats on your 100 posts!
    Nice uniforms but can't help youu any further!
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

A nice group :

Neither are actually 'tunics' per se. To be technically accurate, the proper name for the khaki one would be a "Service Dress Jacket" and the blue one is a "Serge Frock".

What shoulder flashes do you mean? The service dress may have had a Canadian divisional patch on it perhaps, otherwise none would have been worn.

Rob

CBH
    ?

Thank you for the information Rob , I thought it might of had the CBH flashes , but I'm working on getting some period photo's of AN MacDonald .And I hope they show what insignia he wore and then I hope to return one to WW2 insignia . Would both be worn with a kilt or trues ?
    Cheers Chris

Nice uniform items and always good to see named examples.

I assume they would have had metal collar dogs (you can see the holes for them), shoulder titles and rank insignia.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 05-24-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Thank you for the information Rob , I thought it might of had the CBH flashes , but I'm working on getting some period photo's of AN MacDonald .And I hope they show what insignia he wore and then I hope to return one to WW2 insignia . Would both be worn with a kilt or trues ?
    Cheers Chris
    I would say certainly not flashes on either. By WW2, the Serge Frock was pretty much a dress item, and would have been worn with, at most, a brass shoulder title (either the CBH's regimental one or just CANADA) below rank insignia on the shoulder straps. The Service Dress jacket may have had 5th Canadian Armoured division patches, but certainly no more. It would definitely have used brass CANADA titles below rank badges on the shoulder straps. Both jackets may or may not have had collar badges. The Service Dress is a UK-made 'utility' pattern (by the most well-known of all Scottish tailors - Wm Anderson & Sons) and was intended to not display collar badges, although it would seem most officers applied them anyway.

The CBH were a kilted unit, although, like most highland infantry regiments, they wore trews as well. In reality, the kilt was not normal wear during WW2, and standard dress for the CBH would have been Battledress blouse and trousers.
    According to regulations, trews would have been worn with the Serge Frock, and a kilt (without sporran but with a khaki cover) with the Service Dress, although the kilt and sporran were worn with SD as shown by the picture below:

Officer Uniforms&quot; Cape Breton Highlander &quot;[

One officer seems to be wearing plaid riding breeches in the photo too Sam Browne belt was normal wear with both.

By the way, I found this picture of Lt-Col AN MacDonald. He is the one in the middle receiving the retirement gift (wearing Battledress):

Officer Uniforms&quot; Cape Breton Highlander &quot;

Rob

One thing I didn't mention (you probably know, but just in case) the lowest flat button on the service dress is correct. It was flat like that as it is worn under the Sam Browne belt.

Rob

Very nice named group.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

CBH
    ?

Thank you all for the information ,this site is a wonderful resource . I have the collars and hat badge for the uniforms . And I believe them to be officer issue . And thanks again Rob for the photo of the owner ! I will hopefully be visiting the CBH museum in the near future , and will take some photo's to post here . Thanks again .
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Officer Uniforms&quot; Cape Breton Highlander &quot;  

?

I'm originally from Cape Breton... and I will keep my eye out for buttons and shoulder flashes here in Toronto for you.

Great posts!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast