Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Officer's Ike - 336th Bomb Squadron, 95th Bomb Group, 8th AAF

Article about: I just wanted to share my most recent acquisition. This is my first officer's chocolate Ike jacket and it's named! This group consists of a chocolate officer's Ike, dog tags, officer's choco

Default Officer's Ike - 336th Bomb Squadron, 95th Bomb Group, 8th AAF

I just wanted to share my most recent acquisition. This is my first officer's chocolate Ike jacket and it's named!

This group consists of a chocolate officer's Ike, dog tags, officer's chocolate shirt and neck tie. This group is attributed to Lt. John Francis Gill who originally qualified as a Bombardier but also qualified for, and flew all of his missions, as a Navigator. Lt. Gill was part of the 336th Bomb Squadron, 95th Bomb Group, 8th AAF and completed his 25 missions (I've found him attributed to 26 missions) from October 1943 to February 1944. I've been able to track down a good amount of information, including the mission files for all of his bombing runs along with a video recording of an interview he completed with the Veterans History Project.

A couple of notable missions he participated in was the first Schweinfurt bombing in October 1943 and the Rjukan Norway run on November 16, 1943. So, there is some overlap between the missions Lt. Gill participated in and the ones that Lt. Paul participated in here: Lt. Harvey A. Paul Officer's Visor - 8th AAF

The Navigator wings are very nice N.S. Meyer pin back wings that open to 45 degrees.

Here is a period picture of Lt. Gill in the front row, first on the left.

Here is the video interview of Mr. Gill.

Interview with John Gill

Great named grouping, fantastic piece of history. Leon.

Great when you can put history to a grouping! Nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A set I'd have in my collection that's for sure, Very nice

Thank you all for the kind comments!

I always like finding named items and groups. Once I saw the video interview I was sold. After the fact I found all of his bombing mission reports online and that was definitely a bonus.

The video is interesting in that he makes note of the lack of fighter support in the beginning of the war and in particular his mission to Schweinfurt.

?

You know I'm loving it Ed!!!!Fantastic looking Ike and having it in that grouping is icing on the cake

Add the 95th BG is a bonus due to how much info is available to research them. Thats another

Semper Fi
    Phil

Super nice grouping!