Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Officer's KD service dress jacket

Article about: Could you post a photo what was used to hold on the buttons . As I have buttons for mine but no idea how to fix them on the tunic . Thanks

Default Officer's KD service dress jacket

Picked this one up for £7 at lunchtime. I'm guessing its late 30s due to the label saying 'by appointment to the late King George V'. It's named to a Major Cooper,but without a regiment I doubt I can identify him. Need to find some buttons, collar dogs and rank insignia to finish it off now.

.Officer's KD service dress jacketOfficer's KD service dress jacket

CBH
    ?

I recently pick up a group of uniforms to a LC in the RCA . And it contained a very similar jacket , thou no labels . I like how the shoulder tabs were reinforced for the rank badges . Does the ink show through on the back ? Nice find .
    Cheers Chris

?

Hi

I have several in my collection, they are service dress made of denim for tropical use. Ie Middle east same pattern as ww1 or ww11.
    Some of mine have no collar dogs, Officers didnt bother, also leather buttons were worn.
    However mine is a Yeomanry collection and if two Officers were dressed alike ...(One was an imposter)

Yours is an officers Service Dress style (Tailors label is impossible to read) from 1915-1940's, not sure when it ended.

Paul

CBH
    ?

I thought it might have been tropical , I have a tropical jacket and they seem to be made of similar cloth . When I get some photos taken I'll post some .

A good pick up and for a good price. Well at least you know the date, roughly and also that he was not in one of the Guards Bn's, because of the spacing of the buttons.

From the list of known British army officers from the WWII period, this is the most likely candidate, though the lists is not complete so he might be another who does not appear and he did not become a Major until wars end, though he was commissioned in 1938, two years after the Kings death. There are 2 major Coopers listed, but the other was in the Irish Guards before the war and then in the Life guards from 41. Officers of the British Army 1939-1945 -- C

Cooper,
    Eric Holmes
    E.H. Cooper
    Son of ... Cooper, and ... Kennedy.
    Married ((09?).1935, Cambridge district, Cambridgeshire) Sq.Offr. Beatrice Patience Gwendoline Stewart-Black, WAAF (1910-1992); no children. 07.02.1914
    Hastings district, Sussex
    -
    Radlett, Watford district, Hertfordshire
    2nd Lt. 03.09.1938 [76863]
    WS/Lt. 01.01.1941
    WS/Capt. 08.08.1942 (reld < 04.1947)
    T/Maj. 08.08.1942-(04.1946)
    Hon. Maj. < 04.1947
    Mention in Despatches MID 23.05.1946 Mediterranean
    Army Emergency Reserve Decoration AERD 30.12.1955 -
    Education: Corpus Christi College, Cambridge (1933).
    03.09.1938 commissioned, Royal Army Service Corps - Supplementary Reserve of Officers
    24.08.1939 mobilized SRO
    03.09.1948 Regular Army Reserve of Officers
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, that's fantastic. Looks like a likely candidate.

Quote by Warspite View Post
    Thanks Jerry, that's fantastic. Looks like a likely candidate.
    As I mentioned, he is the closest candidate of those listed, but at least RASC items are not too pricey if you decide to dress it up as his.

By a strange coincidence I have a full set of buttons and collars for the RASC which I bought to restore a KD to a member of the Indian Version RIASC and got them as a stopgap until I could find the correct examples. I still need the correct RIASC collars, but have 3 sets of the RASC version. If your interested pm me your address and I post them Gratis to you as soon as I have the time.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, it's things like this that make this forum special. I've sent you a PM

Ed

Quote by Warspite View Post
    Thanks Jerry, it's things like this that make this forum special. I've sent you a PM

Ed
    Glad to be able to help and others have gifted me a couple of items, so always good to pay it back.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks to Jerry, I've now completed the uniform apart from rank crowns...Officer's KD service dress jacket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast