Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions needed - British battledress

Article about: This battledress is for sale on the German ebay and ends in 3 hours, the price is okay so if everything is original, I might try to snap it up. But is it original? He has not taken any pictu

Default Opinions needed - British battledress

This battledress is for sale on the German ebay and ends in 3 hours, the price is okay so if everything is original, I might try to snap it up.
    But is it original? He has not taken any pictures of the labels, and some of the markings look a bit new, and look like they've been drawn with a pen, that might just be my opinion, but since I am not an expert on battledresses, what do you guys think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed - British battledress   Opinions needed - British battledress  

Opinions needed - British battledress   Opinions needed - British battledress  

Opinions needed - British battledress   Opinions needed - British battledress  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: Opinions needed - British battledress

Post-war Greek

Rob

Thanks Rob, I thought it looked a bit suspicious, and it seemed way too perfect. I owe you one
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

What Rob said.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

For future reference etc: How can you spot the Post-war Greek battledress?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

The big give-away is the circular mark that has been scribbled over in pen. Underneath the pen marks are Greek letters, probably hidden on purpose as they are the only thing that has a definite un-British look Apart from that, and at the risk of sounding like Friedrich-Berthold, it's all about familiarity with the real thing. There should be plenty of pictures of real British Battledress on the forum, just study and compare. I've been doing it for 30 years, and after a while you just 'know'

Rob

Quote by Collectorww2 View Post
    For future reference etc: How can you spot the Post-war Greek battledress?
    Besides the markings, the hidden buttons on the fly and exposed buttons on the pockets are usually a sign of post war manufacture.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    The big give-away is the circular mark that has been scribbled over in pen. Underneath the pen marks are Greek letters, probably hidden on purpose as they are the only thing that has a definite un-British look Apart from that, and at the risk of sounding like Friedrich-Berthold, it's all about familiarity with the real thing. There should be plenty of pictures of real British Battledress on the forum, just study and compare. I've been doing it for 30 years, and after a while you just 'know'

Rob
    Thanks, I'm guessing that is also there is also a reason for no pictures of the labels on the uniforms. I thought the pen marks looked a bit too new, but was not sure. I know what you mean by the "familiarity of the real thing", it's pretty hard to explain, but I know the feeling. I think most people have that feeling, and just "know it". It's kind of like you've owned an object for a long time and have gotten to know it, know the feel of it, know the look of it etc, you'll be able to pick it out of a line of completely identical objects.

Thanks for the answers, hopefully in the future, other collectors can look at this thread and not fall into this kind of thing. Luckily I didn't, mostly because I know better now, and had the time to check up the item before purchase, and that is all thanks to you guys on this forum, thanks again.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

You may find a stamped WD mark and size, but the date and manufacturer are stated on a label.

Quote by LucN View Post
    You may find a stamped WD mark and size, but the date and manufacturer are stated on a label.
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of watermark stamps wandering around Ebay recently...
    Best Regards

Vegard T.