Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

Article about: British uniform labels used both forms of dating, some have it as part of the manufacture of the label and others have it as an inkstamp on the label. Has it got a broad arrow stamp, as the

Default Re: Postwar British Windproof Smock or SAS?

British uniform labels used both forms of dating, some have it as part of the manufacture of the label and others have it as an inkstamp on the label. Has it got a broad arrow stamp, as the date can often been worked out from the letter stamped above it.

L=1945 M=1944 N=1943 O=1942 P=1941 Q=1940 R=1939, though Z can equal 1944 & 1945, though why I don't know.

These are also seen on postwar examples, though I have yet to work out the sequence.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nope someone from Great Britain - Pom/Pommy as we Aussies say
    Ah, I love the different variations of english spoken on this site! I picked up "rollicking" from here and use it all the time now as it amuses me greatly.

?

This is the only label that I found, what do you think? Thanks for the info BTW, I love how we work out these codes and their mysteries so many years later, cool stuff!

Quote by Bond View Post
    British uniform labels used both forms of dating, some have it as part of the manufacture of the label and others have it as an inkstamp on the label. Has it got a broad arrow stamp, as the date can often been worked out from the letter stamped above it.

L=1945 M=1944 N=1943 O=1942 P=1941 Q=1940 R=1939, though Z can equal 1944 & 1945, though why I don't know.

These are also seen on postwar examples, though I have yet to work out the sequence.

?

Here's a great example on the Collectors Guild: The Collector's Guild

Seller's description and photos, not mine
    "The camouflaged windproof smock used the same camo pattern as the Denison smock. The smock is made from a light-weight cotton, has an integral hood, two pleated patch pockets, with button down scalloped flap closures, to the breasts and two patch pockets, with straight edged button down flaps, to the hips. The buttons are all brown/tan bakelite and appear to have their original stitching. Passing through a tunnel loop sewn into the front edge of the hood is a cloth adjustment tape, while a heavier tape is threaded through a tunnel loop to the waist. Sewn to the interior is a white label with the text "Smock, Windproof", "Size No. 1" and a "broad-arrow". Dated for "Feb.1944". Shows period use and wear with two tears present (one to the hood and the other to the front pocket.) Has been modified with a front zipper added."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2