Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Pre-war RA Service Dress

Article about: Good day Gentlemen, I have this pre-war (1922 pattern) Service Dress and wonder if anyone can give me any help with dating and, above all, tracing anything from the two service numbers insid

?

Default Pre-war RA Service Dress

Good day Gentlemen,
    I have this pre-war (1922 pattern) Service Dress and wonder if anyone can give me any help with dating and, above all, tracing anything from the two service numbers inside.

As you will see, the date code letter (now heavily washed down), is ‘W’ over broad arrow, over ‘2’. I believe this to indicate a date of somewhere c.1934/35/36.
    The cloth label has long since worn away, though the unlined collar is a clear indicator for pre-c.1939/40.

All insignia is original to it, in ‘as found’ condition, although a good conduct chevron to lower left sleeve has clearly been removed at some point in its history (presumably having been awarded to the first owner).

The earlier service number, while slightly difficult to read in parts, appears to be 1432428 (or perhaps 4452426, or further combinations there of).

The second name and number, H. Jarman 14291818 (or perhaps 1429/8/8?), is a clearly much later addition, possibly even post-war.

I have had no luck in tracking down either combination and would very much appreciate any help you are able to give.
    My sincerest thanks, as ever,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre-war RA Service Dress   Pre-war RA Service Dress  

Pre-war RA Service Dress   Pre-war RA Service Dress  

Pre-war RA Service Dress  
    Last edited by Kohima; 02-11-2019 at 07:02 PM.

the first army number fits into the block of numbers issued to the RA from 1920 on and would be 1,452426 in my reading of it and would fit into the date you think of mid 1930's. The second number is a digit longer and I don't know when the change took place.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Many thanks Jerry!
    I’m inclined to agree with your interpretation of the earlier number.
    I believe, though cannot be certain, that the number extension occurred either extremely late in WWII or shortly thereafter (I’ve always considered eight digits to be a post-war indicator).
    It may be that such items remained in service in the early post-war era with training or cadet organisations, or perhaps even as parade or Bandsmans’ dress in regular units.

I don’t believe I have anything else with a W date code; not with a useful date stamp in it too!

Cheers,
    Bob

Bob, I have seen late 1950's datedexamples with use as you say probably into the1960's in certain circumstances.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

during WW2 General Service Corps were allocated the block 14200001 - 15000000

?

Thanks Prosty,
    These above number blocks appear to have been allocated to the General Service Corps, from September 1943, when the corps was created (according to B. L. Davis).
    The presence of this eight digit number in the tunic seems, therefore, a little out of place, but may simply be due to the transfer of Gunner Jarman from GSC to R.A., carrying his original number with him, in full accordance with standard practice.

The eight digit number does have the look of ‘1429/8/8’ about it (rather than ‘1818’), and wonder if this is actually his ‘last four’, plus a form of unit designation (perhaps relating to some kind of late- or post-war training establishment), though it is not a format that I recognise.

This tunic dates, I now believe, from 1934 (an as yet unconfirmed translation of the ‘W’ date code by a friend), the original seven digit service number falling perfectly within Artillery number allocation.

Bob