Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF 1941 Pattern Sidcot flying suit, battledress and trousers

Article about: And finally two pairs of woollen gloves and a strange 'turtle neck' neck warmer. I think that they are all home made. Going by the other items that the seller had these are definitely period

Default RAF 1941 Pattern Sidcot flying suit, battledress and trousers

Hello All,
    I have shown the Sqn Ldr battledress and 1943 pattern escape boots before, however, I thought I'd post some pictures with the flying suit and trousers I bought recently.
    The flying suit is a 1941 pattern Sidcot which is in excellent condition with all of the zips functioning well. Originally this would have been electrically heated, however, as with most of these left, the wires have been removed post war as it was used as a motorcycle suit.
    The trousers are 1945 dated and a nice match in colour to the battledress.
    All I need now is a flying helmet, mae west and a 5'6'' mannequin!!

Default Re: RAF 1941 Pattern Sidcot flying suit, battledress and trousers

Very nice items i really like your collection very nice!!

?

Grimebox,

Nice collection of RAF items. I just posted this morning photos of a portion of my RCAF uniform collection. My collection also include a Sidcot suit similar in design as yours but in a blue colored material as shown in the photo below. The other uniforms can be seen here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...isplay-107695/

RAF 1941 Pattern Sidcot flying suit, battledress and trousers

Thank you very much. I have shown some of my other RAF items in this thread:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviat...66/?highlight=
    My collection is quite eclectic, although I have recently been focusing on the escape and evasion material:
    SOE pencil dagger, silk escape maps and escape compasses
    I also picked up a US AN-6550 summer flying suit recently. It is shown with an A-11 helmet and and an A-9 helmet (which is in poor condition). The boots are the RAF tropical version.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Hello All,
    I have shown the Sqn Ldr battledress and 1943 pattern escape boots before, however, I thought I'd post some pictures with the flying suit and trousers I bought recently.
    The flying suit is a 1941 pattern Sidcot which is in excellent condition with all of the zips functioning well. Originally this would have been electrically heated, however, as with most of these left, the wires have been removed post war as it was used as a motorcycle suit.
    The trousers are 1945 dated and a nice match in colour to the battledress.
    All I need now is a flying helmet, mae west and a 5'6'' mannequin!!
    Lovely set there, and I envy it.
    I'd love to see more detail on these, especially the 43 Patt escape boots

More pictures as requested Rene (Apoligies for the order - my computer won't drag the images where I want!)

I have added some close ups' of the Sidcot showing the zips and where the electric connectors were removed.

I have two pairs of Escape boots, unfortunately neither have the escape knife, although one pair does have metal ends to the laces. Allegedly the metal tips were magnetised to act as an escape compass. I have shown close ups of the pocket the knife would have been hidden in. One pair has what I believe are the original soles whilst the others have been period resoled. As you can see the sheepskin continues into the 'shoe' part of the boot. One of the boots has a name painted alongside the zip, I think it says 'ERIC 22'.

The Tropical boots are dated 1945. I believe that they were made in India. One of the boots has it's ties cut off, however, they came as a pair and as can be seen they are named.

A few more.

Ahh Fantastic!!!! Thanks for the extras

I have just added a Kapok liner to the Sidcot flying suit. It was a lucky Ebay purchase/gamble, it was listed correctly as a flying suit liner but the size was not mentioned and there was no picture of the label. I forgot to send a question asking for the size and shortly before the listing ended realised that there had been no bids. I was the one and only bidder and got it for the starting bid of £20. I was very pleased when it arrived today and and found that it is a size 2 - the same size as my flying suit!
    The main zip is a Lightning and the rest are AM marked, all work perfectly.

The fur collar is also a recent purchase, again a good deal for £15. It has the previous owners name and possible a second owner although it is not quite clear, it appears to be a service number followed by the name HALL and beneath ELECTRICAL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast