Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF Flt Lt Tunic

Article about: Good morning gentlemen , I "strayed away" from my usual area of German helmets/badges and picked this up the other day. My question is do you think it is WW2 period or post war. Th

Default RAF Flt Lt Tunic

Good morning gentlemen , I "strayed away" from my usual area of German helmets/badges and picked this up the other day. My question is do you think it is WW2 period or post war. There are no signs of any tailors labels either having been there or removed. The tunic buttons are attached by RAF blue thread and do not appear to have been tampered with at all, the reverse of the buttons are however completely un-maker marked, could this tunic be Canadian/USA/Australia etc manufactured or are un-marked buttons standard on British made pieces?? Also the brass buckle appears to have many small "indentations" on it, as if something else with a metal fitting was worn over the top and repeatedly "knocked/bashed" onto it! Thanks for any help you can give me, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Flt Lt Tunic   RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

RAF Flt Lt Tunic   RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

Default hi

Looks period to me most of the RAF officers tunics i own are private purchase made and have no labels and look exactly like this.The labels mine have usually are Burton,Moss etc no real proof it is exactly wartime but my guess is it is or ish!!

Also forgot to mention on a lot of wartime Raf tunics they had like an economy lining inside almost like a stripey pyjama material.

The buttons and eagle are all pre 1953 and if as you say the thread is untouched/period it stands a good chance of being WWII. How are the VR badges mounted?
    Not all British made buttons are maker marked, so that does not make it foreign made and the cut looks correct for WWII as far as I am aware, though RAF is not my area.

It looks to be a good period example IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you very much , the point about the lining is very interesting and may be a clue as this tunic has a Rayon type liner , the sleeve lining is also a Rayon type material(all be it white) and there is a small brown Rayon type patch repair to the lower inside right front. I hope this helps, Leon
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Flt Lt Tunic   RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The buttons and eagle are all pre 1953 and if as you say the thread is untouched/period it stands a good chance of being WWII. How are the VR badges mounted?
    Not all British made buttons are maker marked, so that does not make it foreign made and the cut looks correct for WWII as far as I am aware, though RAF is not my area.

It looks to be a good period example IMHO.
    Hello Jerry , thanks for that information , the VR collar badges are mounted by eye and pin, Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Flt Lt Tunic  

Hi Leon. later they switched over to clutch pin fitting, so looks good for WWII, though I don't know when exactly they changed, but all seems right for WWII period.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Hi Leon. later they switched over to clutch pin fitting, so looks good for WWII, though I don't know when exactly they changed, but all seems right for WWII period.
    Thank you very much Jerry , most appreciated. Leon.

?

Check inside that small inside pocket, you may find a label in there.

Dean O

Hello Dean , I had a look and there's nothing in that pocket either. Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast