Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform

Article about: Hi After I was unable to buy the Royal Warwickshire Regiment uniform I saw this and I brought it. Its is a nice and worn tunic and trouser set to a Leading Aircraftmen and the seller stated

Default Re: RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes, post war label. Probably 1960's.
    Hi

Thanks. I will try and sell the trousers to get some money to buy a side cap to go with the tunic.

Cameron

Quote by Cameron Stockton View Post
    Hi

I have been looking at the trousers closely and I have the feeling that they might be post-war.

Cameron

Yes post war for certain with that label.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Just adding this for reference , but the letter codes for WWII British arrow marked items is as follows;

R=1939 Q=1940 P=1941 O=1942 N=1943 M=1944 L=1945 though Z can also equal 1945

The post war sequence is not known, but it should be possible to work it out if enough dated and arrow marked items were available for study. During WWI it appears that they used a code sequence of letters based on the issuing depots, which has been posted on the Great war forum. I don't think any work has yet been done on the interwar years, but I think they put the date below the arrow in most cases.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi, The style of your jacket was still in sevice in 1965/6. Removal of the label is, in my opinion, very suspicious. The airmans number is for a direct entry airman and is high. War issue tunics usually have a "bandage" pocket in the front skirt on the wearers right. Without proper inspection, I am of the opinion that it is probably post WW2 (1950's or 60's). With regard to the trousers, the label gives all the detail you need. The RAF Domestic Sub Section for Blue Uniform was 22F (Not shown on the label and phased out on most RAF clothing to be replaced by the NATO Codification). Your trousers bear the NATO COdification 8405 which replaced 22F and which is still current NP stands for New Pattern. 99 tells you that the item was procured (but not necessarily manufactured in the UK) for use by the British Military and the 7 digit number is its RAF Stock Referrence Number. Again, without seeing the trousers, I would say that they are 1960's issue for wear with the then new pattern Battle Dress Uniform. This uniform was replaced by the T72 Uniform Package and included the Number 2 Dress Uniform with a zip front jacket. I hope that you find this information of interest, Regards and best wishes Michael R

PS The mixing of embroidered and War Economy printed badges both on a blue/black field is not unusual and does not prove WW2 vintage as both were worn post War whilst stocks lasted. Cheers again Michael R.

Certainly the patches do not prove WW2 origin, they could indeed be old stock or added later. However, I stand by my conclusion that this is almost certainly a wartime jacket. My conclusion was based on careful observation of both my wartime and postwar jackets and the supplied photographs. It matches in detail my 1941 dated jacket and differs from my 1951 dated example as stated in several respects. Also, the bandage pocket in the right skirt is present on both the post war and wartime jackets, so I don't see how that could be relevant. I am happy to provide pictures for comparison if required.

Hi

Surely the date stamp proves ww2 period?

Cameron

Quote by Cameron Stockton View Post
    Hi

Surely the date stamp proves ww2 period?

Cameron
    I must not have made it clear, the system of letter codes was also used in the post war period, though how that system works then is not known, so it is possible that the O means a different date, though if it is on an item that is known to be WWII from other factors it allows you to date it to the year of the war, but only if you know that it is WWII and cannot be used on its own to date an item. There should be other factors that date it to WWII such as shape of the collar, pockets etc, type of lining and so on. I am not up on RAF items so can't help there, but if it is WWII as Douglas states, then it was issued in 1942.
    Regards,

Jerry

The WD O marks could also stand for 1955 as I have a battledress jacket of this date with this mark. However this logically means that the letters were recycled about every 13 years. The next time they came around would be late 60s and too late for this type of jacket which was phased out mid 60's. However, the trousers certainly have a 60s type label (I have made various comparisons with my own collection) so the jacket and trousers do not match.

However, it seems clear to me that the lining colour of RAF uniforms becomes less grey and more purple bluish after the war. I have a war dated RAF cap and jacket with grey lining, and post war dated jacket and trousers (1951 and 1960) (every item from a different factory) with distinctly purple blue grey linings. I am uploading some pictures.

Cameron, is this difference apparent between your jacket and trousers?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform   RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform  

RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform   RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform  

RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform   RAF Leading Aircraftman Uniform  

Hi

Thank you for the additional information.

Cameron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2