Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress

Article about: Hello guys, I have this RAF jacket and a couple of questions. The main one being; is it ligit? This is not my field of collecting. It has the label with a name and service number. The name a

Default RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress

Hello guys,

I have this RAF jacket and a couple of questions. The main one being; is it ligit?
    This is not my field of collecting. It has the label with a name and service number. The name and number match to a sergeant pilot Dennis John Rolfe who served in 70 sqaudron Volunteer Reserve. He was killed on 01 may 1943. It also had this old bus ticket in one of the pockets. My concerns about it:

Is the fabric alright? It seems very thick wool compared to what I see online.
    Also the rank emblems and the "bird"shoulder patch seem very new to me.

I am hoping for it to be ligit, I just love items than can be linked to the person.

Thanks!

PS: sorry, I treid to get the pictures in the right position but couldn't...

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress

There you go !!
    I love these...always wanted one but no clue where to find them. I hope it's deemed an original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress   RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress  

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress   RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress  

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress  

Looks promising to me. It's not unheard of for fakers to add a WWII date to the tailor's label using a potato as a stamp.

My 1943-dated tunic for comparison. Note the ever so slight difference in the shade of blue.

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service Dress

Regards, B.B.

The tunic is original.

Not sure these wings and stripes are original to it though.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

that was what I was thinking to. although it is the first one I ever had in my hands the tunic has the right old look and smell. but the strips and shoulder emblems look kinda out of place, they feel somewhat to new. but they do match the rank and position in the Wellington bomber for this man.. maybe some more opinions will follow. I contacted an online community of the RAF 70sqdn VR. I am hoping that someone has a link and maybe a picture of the sergeant that owned this tunic

RAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressRAF sergeant (pilot) Service DressHi, the tunic itself is perfectly correct, a standard OR's issue as all flight sergeants were issued with. As for the insignia, when it was applied is always hard to call, I have one of these that looks good to me although I had to re-attach one of the shoulder patches myself by hand as it was in the top pocket for some reason! Here's mine for comparison, a 1941 dated label ( what's left and a very faint "P" WD code, also for 41 ). Leon.

I think the naming is suspect - appears to be ballpoint pen from the images- so i wouldn't let that sway your decision. It is not impossible that it is legitimate but the timing would be pretty tight for the date and a casualty [From Wikipedia] In 1941, the Bíró brothers and a friend, Juan Jorge Meyne, fled Germany and moved to Argentina, where they formed Bíró Pens of Argentina and filed a new patent in 1943.[1] Their pen was sold in Argentina as the Birome (portmanteau of the names Bíró and Meyne), which is how ballpoint pens are still known in that country.[1] This new design was licensed by the British, who produced ballpoint pens for RAF aircrew as the Biro. Ballpoint pens were found to be more versatile than fountain pens, especially at high altitudes, where fountain pens were prone to ink-leakage.[4]

The jacket itself is good - the insignia looks original but hard to say how long they have been together. the stripes look a little to new in contrasts to the rest of the assembly. It has the wiff of something offered by 'Military Trader UK' - is that your source? It is worth a chance for the right price - in hand examination is usually best for things like this.

Casualty stuff is tricky to enlisted ranks as the uniforms were Gov't issue and as such should/would have been evaluated for return to stores and reissue. But it can depend on the base, the equipment officer, and other folks involved in deceased effects. My great uncle was killed on duty as a newly promoted WO 2, the uniforms return to my grand mother with his personal effects were his flight Sgt's BD and SD (the SD was cut up to make clothes for my uncles who were toddlers - I have his BD). I also knew Aircrew who when they were promoted to officer kpet their OR's stuff and sent it home. So there are many possibilities.