Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Squadron Leader Tunic

Article about: Hello folks. My first uniform piece! I always thought my first uniform would be German, but alas the prices for combat tunics lay just beyond my immediate reach. I decided instead to aim clo

Default RAF Squadron Leader Tunic

Hello folks.

My first uniform piece! I always thought my first uniform would be German, but alas the prices for combat tunics lay just beyond my immediate reach. I decided instead to aim closer to home, literally, and pick up an RAF tunic. One of the dealer sites that I frequently browse listed this one over the weekend.
    A Canadian-made tunic belonging to a squadron leader in the Volunteer Reserve. It was advertised as being dated 1943, although in the time between ordering and delivery I've forgotten exactly where the date was. There are a few moth nips, and the tunic was discounted on that basis. To be honest, these are minor and scarcely noticeable, and don't affect the overall look of the piece at all.
    All buttons are present, as is the original insignia. Some of the male-female studs on one breast pocket are missing. Apart from that, it's a fully intact example. There is also a ribbon bar in place, the wearer being awarded the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and War Medal.
    I'm unsure of the purpose of the stripes stitched onto the sleeve. Would I be correct in guessing that these are rank stripes, similar to those worn on the shoulder by modern commercial pilots?

At just £75, I can't complain!

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Squadron Leader Tunic   RAF Squadron Leader Tunic  

RAF Squadron Leader Tunic   RAF Squadron Leader Tunic  

RAF Squadron Leader Tunic  

The stripes are indeed rank stripes, the RAF equivalent of the Royal Navy gold ones.

RAF Commissioned Ranks - https://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/...ionedranks.cfm

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    The stripes are indeed rank stripes, the RAF equivalent of the Royal Navy gold ones.

RAF Commissioned Ranks - https://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/...ionedranks.cfm
    Thank you for the information. I'm a complete novice to these tunics.

B.B.

BB would this particular officer be eligible for the Canadian Volunteer Service medal?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    BB would this particular officer be eligible for the Canadian Volunteer Service medal?
    Am not entirely sure, to be honest. There's next to no provenance to go with this piece besides the medal bar. I've read that British pilots would often train over in Canada, but I've no idea if the owner of this tunic was a British or Canadian serviceman.

B.B.

Good point. I recall now Commonwealth pilots joining the RAF once the war started also trained in Canada. So buying a tunic while in Canada makes sense.

I like it. I always wanted one of these RAF tunics but never see them in the states for sale.

Very nice, enjoy !!

I would say that this would be a British pilot that was in Canada for possibly training, otherwise, if he were Canadian, the tunic would have "Canada" mudguards and RCAF wings?
    "Per Ardua"

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    I would say that this would be a British pilot that was in Canada for possibly training, otherwise, if he were Canadian, the tunic would have "Canada" mudguards and RCAF wings?
    I suspect you're right. I've seen other tunics for sale from Polish and Canadian squadrons, and shoulder titles being sold on their own.

B.B.

It would only have 'Canada' Shoulder titles if deployed overseas. It is probable that upon arrival back in Canada he stayed on longer on official duties at home and would have removed the titles. As there is service in Italy they would have been worn there but not necessarily on this jacket if you follow the logic.

But in this case the officer is not a Canadian but an English RAF officer, the buttons are RAF and the ribbons do not denote a Canadian. He was likely traine din Canada under the BCATP and bought the uniform while there and used it back in Europe