Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF TUNIC- 40´S or 50´S ????

Article about: Hi, Any opinions on this one? War time? Post War? I was told that it was a private order tunic, but a war time one. Thanks Luis

Default RAF TUNIC- 40´S or 50´S ????

Hi,

Any opinions on this one? War time? Post War? I was told that it was a private order tunic, but a war time one.

Thanks

Luis

And what about this overcoat?

Any ideia?

Thanks

Luis

can't tell from these pics.

Thanks. I'll post more photos ASAP. But I'm open to other opinions.

Unless its dated on the talior labels inside it would be hard to say 1940s or 1950s

?

Would brass buttons suggest early WWII?? Not sure.

Oz

Although it might be from WW2, the mounted medal ribbons would suggest that it was being worn after the war ended.

I am not aware there is any way to distinguish wartime RAF officers uniform from that of the early postwar period (pre 1952-53 period). I would be happy to have these pieces in my WW2 collection, and its common to see post war war service ribbons on war dated uniform.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I would be happy to have these pieces in my WW2 collection, and its common to see post war war service ribbons on war dated uniform.
    I agree, i would include this in my collection too, without labels it is impossible to tell, the owner obviously served during ww2, so chances are the uniform did too.

RAF Service Dress Jacket.

1936 Pattern; Four buttons.The jacket incorporated a single deep central slit to the rear.
    The belt and buckle was positioned between the third and fourth buttons; and the belt is stitched in position across the back. The patch pockets of Officers uniform jackets had buttons; other ranks did not.

1947 Pattern. The lower of the four buttons being relocated to a position underneath the belt. The two side pocket were abolished, and two hacking jacket style slits replaced the previous single one to the back of the tunic. Additionally flying badges were replaced with a full size version in bullion embroidery.
    Kings Crown buttons remained through 1953, until changed with new issue clothing up until 1964 when they were all changed by order.

Greatcoat:
    This is an other ranks. Officer's greatcoats had five buttons in each row, Other ranks had four.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast