Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Recent Ike Jacket Pickup

Article about: Hello everyone, Here are some photos of a recent purchase. Interesting array of insignia, I think. Am I correct in thinking this soldier served in the 102nd Division and transferred out of t

?

Default Recent Ike Jacket Pickup

Hello everyone,

Here are some photos of a recent purchase. Interesting array of insignia, I think. Am I correct in thinking this soldier served in the 102nd Division and transferred out of the service in the 90th? It appears that he was wounded in action, and he was in coastal artillery. Any comments or insight appreciated. Thanks.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent Ike Jacket Pickup   Recent Ike Jacket Pickup  

Recent Ike Jacket Pickup   Recent Ike Jacket Pickup  

Tom,

A rather unique Ike jacket.. Your assumptions are correct that he was in the 102nd and his current unit of assignment was the 90th Infantry division. I am a little puzzled by the Coast Artillery branch of service insignia, and the screw back version of the collar disc which meant that the Soldier would have had to cut a hole in his uniform to place the insignia on.. This late in the war, the clutch back insignia would have replaced screw back insignia, but it doesn't mean that the Soldier didn't use screw back, it is just rather odd..

The screw back insignia would have been worn on the earlier 4 pocket enlisted uniforms and these uniforms had holes reinforced in the uniforms so that screw back insignia could be worn without causing any damage to the tunic itself. If you were to remove the screw back insignia from this uniform, I would bet that there are no machine made holes but rather man made cuts in the material..

I would have to do some further research to see if there were any Coast Artillery units detached for service with either the 102nd or 90th Divisions..

It appears to be in great shape.

Here is a link to another interesting post about an Ike jacket with the 102nd and Engineer Special Brigade with Coast Artillery collar brass..

Ike Jacket - ESB and 102nd ID Patches - UNIFORMS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Smitty

?

Thank you Smitty. Great information and I appreciate your insight. I will do some more research and see what I can find.

Tom
    Last edited by hftiii; 06-14-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Tom,

You're welcome..

Smitty