Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Coat Identification

Article about: I really need some help with this one. :\\ I don't know much about the Red coats or their ranking system; nor do I know much about the man in the picture. All I can tell you is that: The man

?

Default Red Coat Identification

I really need some help with this one. :\
    I don't know much about the Red coats or their ranking system; nor do I know much about the man in the picture.
    All I can tell you is that:
    The man is from England (Yorkshire) and the photo was most likely taken after 1890.

Is there any additional information you can give me about this image or if any of the information I have given you (eg. the year) seems wrong?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Coat Identification  
    Last edited by Setzer; 08-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Default Re: Red Coat Identification

He's a private-badges of rank are worn on the upper sleeve and he doesn't have any-regimental badges on the jacket collar and shoulder epaulets (along with regt titles) but I'm not an expert on the badges of British units of the period.

i can see the prince of Wales tri feathers on his collars and a Y 1 on the shoulders. maybe Prince of Wales own yorkshire volunteers? the buttons look Victorian crown, cant be sure of that though.

I am 95% sure the soldier in the photo is from the 1st Volunteer Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment. The embroidery on the shoulders most probably says 1 V WEST YORKS. It would be a scarlet tunic with white collar and piping, and both badges and buttons would be white metal (silver-coloured). The Volunteer Force were the the predecessors of the Territorial Force, the changeover being 1907. A date from the 1890s would be a good guess.

I have a very similar tunic from the same unit in my collection.

Hope that helps (this is my first post on this forum)

Rob

Hi rob welcome to the forum its good to see you on here.

Thanks Joseph Seems like a lively forum as you said

Rob

It was time to change the display uniform in the front room, so as I was talking about this one anyway I thought I’d post it:

Red Coat Identification

It is a fairly standard 1881 Pattern Tunic with characteristic ‘jampot’ cuffs, exactly as worn by the regular army with the exception of the silver-coloured badges and buttons. This type was replaced in 1902. There were infinite variations in the VF, as units tended to design their own uniforms, although 1VB/W.Yorks were one of those that settled for the standard army pattern. The 1888 Pattern (Slade-Wallace) waistbelt is of the Volunteer Force type, made from one piece of leather and with white metal fittings.

Red Coat IdentificationRed Coat Identification

Rob